www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C.I. New Year Honours list.

4 posters

Go down

C.I. New Year Honours list. Empty C.I. New Year Honours list.

Post by GD Wed 31 Dec 2008, 7:57 am

C.I. New Year Honours list. _45335400_john_grady Mr Grady has become an MBE for his service to disabled people in Jersey

The head coach of Jersey Special Gymnastic Club has been appointed MBE in the New Year Honours list.
John Grady is awarded the honour for voluntary service to disabled people.
Mr Grady, who was made coach to the Men's Squad for Disabilities Gymnastics in 2005, is regarded as one of the top special gymnastics coaches in Europe.
He guided John Le Seeleur to gold in the Special Olympics World Games in 2003 and has produced a string of other British Special Olympians.
At last year's World Games in Shanghai, club member Samantha Godel won three bronze and two silver medals while fellow member Harry Smale won two bronze medals at the same event.
The pair also both picked up numerous gold medals at the 2006 European championships.
Mr Grady will be invited to Buckingham Palace some time in 2009 to collect his honour.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

C.I. New Year Honours list. Empty Re: C.I. New Year Honours list.

Post by GD Wed 31 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

NO BAILIWICK residents have been recognised in the Queen’s New Year’s honours for the first time in 10 years.
The news triggered initial concerns that it was a UK political move aimed at the Crown Dependencies.
That followed Chancellor Alistair Darling’s hostile announcement of a financial review and some particularly critical comments aimed at the Isle of Man.
It later emerged, however, that the Isle of Man and Jersey both have recipients and it is only Guernsey that does not - despite the Bailiff not yet having received any recognition.
The achievements of 55 islanders have been recorded since the islands last drew a blank, in the 1998 Queen’s Birthday list.
The Lt-Governor’s secretary, Col Richard Graham, said the absence of Bailiwick residents was unusual but not unheard of. ‘But it’s disappointing nonetheless,’ he said.
Bailiff Geoffrey Rowland has been kept waiting longer for a knighthood than his recent predecessors and was considered to be in line for one this time, while former chief minister Mike Torode was also being mooted for recognition.(from thisisguernsey)

Well who would you give an honour to...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 31 Dec 2008, 11:59 am

My Mum
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 01 Jan 2009, 8:30 pm

Does the lack of 'honours' to any Bailiwick resident have anything to do with the way that we are viewed from London, and, perhaps more specifically, is this some form of punishment because of a certain racist joke from Deputy Bernard Flouquet? I wonder.....................
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:38 pm

I doubt that the joke ever reached the bars of Westminster. If it did, most of the MPs would have received it as a text days earlier.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Fri 02 Jan 2009, 6:31 am

Dell wrote:Does the lack of 'honours' to any Bailiwick resident have anything to do with the way that we are viewed from London, and, perhaps more specifically, is this some form of punishment because of a certain racist joke from Deputy Bernard Flouquet? I wonder.....................

No

It just means they didnt think anyone in Guernsey were suitable for such a honour.

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 02 Jan 2009, 5:08 pm

GUERNSEY was passed over in the New Year’s honours for political reasons, according to former deputy John Langlois OBE.
‘It is all about being politically correct and it is based more on equality than merit now,’ said Advocate Langlois.
‘Also, problems in Sark may have antagonised the Ministry of Justice.’
Advocate Langlois received his OBE in the 2005 New Year’s honours for services to Guernsey.
‘I have thought about it from my own experience. I had to fill in lots of forms about gender and ethnicity. It’s just trying to be politically correct now.’
He felt there were people in Guernsey worthy of being honoured.
‘I know people who could be nominated. It is disappointing that none of them got in, but it is not the end of the world.’
In particular, he feels the Bailiff should have been honoured.
‘Geoffrey Rowland should be applauded and honoured, not penalised,’ said Advocate Langlois.(from thisisguernsey)

Sorry but if HRH thought that noone was worth one then so be it, and is advocate Langlois suggesting that the Barclay Bros have caused this... mmmm
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 02 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

GD wrote:‘It is all about being politically correct and it is based more on equality than merit now,’ said Advocate Langlois.
‘Also, problems in Sark may have antagonised the Ministry of Justice.’

Sorry but if HRH thought that noone was worth one then so be it, and is advocate Langlois suggesting that the Barclay Bros have caused this... mmmm

Hmmm..... So we have a quote from Adv Langlois about being 'political correct' and 'problems in Sark....' - GD suggests that Adv Langlois may be refering to the Barclays Bros connection. A cynical person might agree with this!!

I would be the first to say that we don't want to be thought of as 'expecting' any recognition, but it does appear somewhat bizarre that the other offshore jurisdictions all had awards and we do have deserving candidates, don't we?
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum