www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

States debate island-wide voting .

4 posters

Go down

States debate island-wide voting . Empty States debate island-wide voting .

Post by Digger Sat 03 Jan 2009, 2:10 pm

Guernsey States is to debate the issue of island-wide voting at its January session.
Various options are being considered to replace the current
system in which islanders vote within their parish for Constables and
States candidates.
These include introducing a single island-wide election to choose all 45 States members.
Other options include an island-wide vote for a proportion of States seats, or staggered election of members.
Narrowing down
This would mean a quarter of States seats could be up for election each year, or perhaps half every other year.
The number of States members could also be reduced from 45 to about 40.
The States Assembly and Constitution Committee has published a
report on island-wide voting for the public to consider before the
debate.
Its chairman, Deputy Ivan Rihoy, said: "It is hoped by the
conclusion of the deliberations of the Assembly that the possible
electoral systems outlined in this report will have been narrowed
down."
If the States gives the committee the go-ahead to investigate
island-wide voting further it will report back on the issue by July.

What are your thoughts on this ?
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

States debate island-wide voting . Empty Re: States debate island-wide voting .

Post by Thistle Sat 03 Jan 2009, 3:34 pm

bring it on.lets see if those who just manged to scrape in this time will get anywhere near next time round.who will i not be voting for ever Shocked
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Sat 03 Jan 2009, 4:54 pm

Digger wrote:...What are your thoughts on this ?
This is an from an email I sent to, all but one(she got a fax as she hadn't enter the C.21 at that point!), SoJ Member in July'07 when a similar debate was to be had here. My view hasn't changed since then... and unfortunately there has been little change from the debate itself either. Still, it was fun going back and looking over the responses from those States Members who bothered to reply.

"COMPOSITION OF THE STATES: REVISED STRUCTURE AND REFERENDUM

With the above proposition in mind I would like to offer an opinion and ask for your views on the subject.

It would appear to me that the principles being considered are:
(i) the need for reform;
(ii) a single general election day;
(iii) the Parish Connétables should remain as members of the States;
(iv) the Island-wide mandate for some members is important although there is also considerable support for parish representation;
(v) there are too many members in the States;
(vi) a slightly longer term of office would be beneficial.

My own opinion and the universal opinion of those people who have one with whom I have spoken on this subject is that there is a, some would agree with me desperate, need for reform of the structure of the States. This being the case the point (i) need not be further addressed.

The mentioned principle (ii) is that of a single general election day. The people I have spoken to seem to be of the opinion that this issue is more to do with making the process of election clearer rather than the ability to change the membership of the States in one almighty cull. The view has also been expressed that the term 'general election' is perceived more as an island-wide election rather than truly global including every office, which links neatly to principle (iv), that the Island-wide mandate is important, but more of that in a moment.

The issue of Parish Connétables remaining in the States (iii) is perhaps the most controversial of all, albeit I believe to be so more out of tradition than logic or democracy. Nobody with whom I have spoken has been of the opinion that the Connétables be excluded from holding an office in the States, but many say that this office should be separately elected because of their views on principle (iv), the island-wide mandate.

Principle (iv), the island-wide mandate. Absolutely the most important issue to everybody I've talked to is the island-wide mandate. How any future composition can do away with the Island-wide mandate simply beggars belief. More than ever under the Ministerial system adopted the requirement of an Island-wide mandate is of the absolute utmost importance and each of the other issues pales in significance to it. The cynic in me wonders why this is 'buried' in the middle of the list of principles of the proposition, and why it is the only principle written as it holds two opposing views, almost as if to muddy the waters and confuse those considering it.

Issues (v) and (vi) are perhaps the least significant issues as (v), the number of members in the States would not bother anybody if they felt the composition was effective and likewise for (vi) the length of office. Both issue are almost a matter of common sense.

So, does the proposition offer an answer to each of these issues, and is it the right answer?

Well if the most important issue is the Island-wide mandate, which I and everybody I speak to think it is, then the proposition not only fails to improve on the broken system, but takes a significant step in the wrong direction in doing away with the small proportion of Island-wide mandate holders there is at present.

What would I propose?

Well to answer each of the issues raised, and in answer to other issues I have and that are shared by the people I have talked to, I would propose:

An all Senator States membership, each holding the island mandate.
A forty member States chamber
A four year term of office
An annual election day

The key to the practicality of the global island mandate being the annual election day where ach year ten seats would be contested, this will give a manageable ballot and I think the regular annual election will make people feel more in touch with their elected members.

The rolling election process also means there would be a certain continuity to the States as there is at present, which I think is a benefit.

A global island mandate means that the Chief Minister etc. can truly represent the people of Jersey rather than just their constituency. Under the P&PC the Chief Minister could be the Connétable of St Mary, or at best have been elected by one sixth of the island.

I believe my proposition better answers each of the principles than that of the P&PC.

Sadly I think that P&PC's proposal is so flawed that I hope it doesn't reach a referendum. The idea of giving two massively flawed options to the electorate is frankly ridiculous. It's like asking somebody whether they want to be punched or kicked and expecting them not to complain later claiming you only did what they 'wanted'.

Thank you for considering my comments and I would be very grateful if you could let me know you views.

Troy "

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 12 Jan 2009, 2:18 pm

The current States election system sees residents voting separately in the island's seven districts.
However, a report examining various ways deputies could be elected in the future has been drafted by the States Assembly and Constitution Committee.
The options include keeping the current system, introducing island-wide voting with no districts or incorporating elements which mix the two.
The committee is asking for permission to firm up their ideas so the States could eventually vote on one option which could then be used in the 2012 general election.
A consultation of voters and politicians showed around two thirds of people would like some form of island-wide voting.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Mon 12 Jan 2009, 4:30 pm

I feel that it should be Island wide voting as it would give the pubic the chance to vote for the people thy want in the states , i also think it should be left to the public to decide who is Chief Minster .
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 12 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

bring it on as quickly as possible .maybe then some of the peeps who just squeezed in using this system would go . :thistle 1:
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum