www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoking investigations begin.

+8
technophobe
Chok Dee Ja
Thistle
bug1
plimmerton811
Digger
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Smoking investigations begin. - Page 2 Empty Re: Smoking investigations begin.

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Mar 2009, 7:39 am

jigman,i gave up whilst unconscious in the ICU at the peh .so i guess i did it the easy way.i see the adverts all the time and like karma would never want to start again.as i have said before its not advertising that starts people smoking imo .it is peer pressure and because some people just want to.

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 04 Mar 2009, 8:02 am

Digger asks "more laws, is this a step too far?"

Well look at it from another angle. People are free to smoke, I have no problem with that. My problem is sharing what they smoke when I do not choose to smoke.

The government is slowly edging people away from smoking, or trying to anyway, much like it stops people speeding in cars. Bearing in mind buying cig's and driving a car has some financial perks for the Govt' so why should it stop people, perhaps it is dangerous to them and others?

It could be that they are concerned, doubt it. It could be that the annual medical bill for smoking related illness is huge and a drain on finances when it could be reduced. How much does the following cost each year and I know that you do not have to smoke to get these diseases but the risk is considerably higher for the smoker,
lung cancer and cardiac arrest. heart disease. cardiovascular diseases called thrombosis which can either be coronary or cerebral as in a stroke or paralysis, cancer which does not only affect the lungs but the throat and mouth as well. This includes cancer of the bladder, cancer of the kidneys and cancer of the pancreas, chronic pulmonary diseases emphysema and chronic bronchitis, high blood pressure, fertility problems, asthma, and eye damages such as cataracts and loss of eyesight, dental problems, ulcers, and over all physical appearance.
Lastly, smokers are not the only people susceptible to smoking related illnesses. Second hand smoke or those people who are exposed to the smoke breathe out by smokers are can also develop smoking related illnesses which can be as fatal with that of the actual smokers. Babies and young children with smoking parents are the most affected by second hand smoke.

Almost like playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun or dodging the traffice whilst wearing a blindfold.

Last edited by plimmerton811 on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)

plimmerton811

Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Mar 2009, 8:43 am

people will still smoke whether there is advertising or not.making it illegal to sell ciggies to under 18 year olds didnt work so why will hiding advertising work.if people choose to smoke that is their business.as a non smoker i just try to avoid areas where people are smoking.after all pubs,restaurants are all non smoking so where are you breathing in other peoples smoke.even my house is smokefree .hubby smokes in his shed as do visitors who are still smokers.

Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 04 Mar 2009, 9:38 am

Hiding cigarettes will take them into the 'mysteriously forbidden' class for youngsters and we all know what that will mean!!! Almost all those 'related illnesses' can be applied to other causes, one that comes to mind is drinking.....My father never smoked a cigarette in his life nor did he frequent pubs and smoky places and as a London Bobby was outdoors most of the time - he died in his 59th year with flu (his lungs couldn't cope) on the other hand my aunt who lived with us smoked 30 a day and drank 1 litre of whiskey every 3 days...dying at the age of 87!!! Ciggies never turned anyone into an aggressive killer as booze and drugs can.......each to his own I say :(

Number of posts : 16109
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Wed 04 Mar 2009, 11:36 am

Jigman wrote:If there's one thing that gets right on my T%^$ it's anti smokers.
what more do you want??? we have to smoke in the open air we dont somke in any public areas so why the hell would we breathe all over you??

Its legal to somke jigman :)

Chok Dee Ja

Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Wed 04 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

Plimmerton

Every fiscal study that I have ever read concludes that Government income from smoking far exceeds the healthcare expenditure.

Also, how are you being forced to inhale second hand smoke? Now that it's banned in pubs, restaurants, workplaces etc where is it that you are being subjected to this hell?

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Garbo Wed 04 Mar 2009, 1:58 pm

technophobe wrote:Plimmerton

Every fiscal study that I have ever read concludes that Government income from smoking far exceeds the healthcare expenditure.

Also, how are you being forced to inhale second hand smoke? Now that it's banned in pubs, restaurants, workplaces etc where is it that you are being subjected to this hell?

Exactly and never once has it been suggested that they stop the manufacture, why? Cos they make too much money out of it .... double standards!!!!!
Garbo
Garbo

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Mar 2009, 3:21 pm

i totally agree lancsguern .i think in guernsey it is about £85 million a year in taxes.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Wed 04 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

The cost of smoke related illness and the damage to families lives far outweighs any tax revenue gain,i expect in my lifetime to see a total ban on cig sales.

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Wed 04 Mar 2009, 3:27 pm

Thistle wrote:i totally agree lancsguern .i think in guernsey it is about £85 million a year in taxes.

But that argument does not stand worldwide and even in guernsey its a poor defence.some examples cigs in romania are around 9 pounds a carton and in thailand around 8 pounds the taxes are very low on cigs in these places.

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

it will never happen CDJ as has already been said i the uk and guernsey a lot of the cost on a packet of 20 is tax.it is used to pay for public services.
people will smoke if that is there choice no matter what the do gooders do.as i have said before i am a non smoker and feel things being banned is taking things a step too far.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada1 Wed 04 Mar 2009, 6:37 pm

Digger wrote:Guernsey is set to begin an investigation into banning the display of cigarettes in shops.

It follows a similar plan which is already happening in Jersey.

The Health and Social Services Department have already created a strategy which looks at a number of anti smoking initiatives.

The plans could see the prison smoke free and a ban on lighting up in cars.

The Department say they're working with Jersey on the new consultation.

More laws , is this a step to far ?

Here in Ontario we have had a ban on cigarette and tabacco displays in shops since may of last year..... There was no difference in sales from what I've heard.....The old displays are still there, just covered up....

Smoking in cars was banned when there is a minor in the car at the beginning of January this year and so far seems to work quite well.

Smoking is banned in the jail, but I don't know when that came into force.....

As an ex-smoker of almost 3 years I think the above laws are great, but then I'm biased Wink People have made do and they're so used to it now it's second nature for a smoker to go outside.............

Canada1

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 24 Mar 2009, 7:54 pm

Consultation on Restricting Smoking (Advertising & Display) Regulations

The Health and Social Services Department is proposing to recommend to the States that consideration be given to the proposals listed in these documents. It wishes to seek the views of the stakeholders and the general public before making any recommendations.

If you wish to express your views please click on link below...

SURVEY

:pp1:
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 24 Mar 2009, 8:17 pm

Thank you - done!!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 25 Mar 2009, 7:26 am

thank you....... done
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Wed 25 Mar 2009, 5:33 pm

Thanks. Done.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 25 Mar 2009, 8:52 pm

Likewise, done!
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2