www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beaches closed for glass clean-up

+2
Thistle
GD
6 posters

Go down

Beaches closed for glass clean-up Empty Beaches closed for glass clean-up

Post by GD Tue 07 Apr 2009, 7:52 am

Two Guernsey beaches have been closed after they were left littered with broken glass and bonfire debris.
A States Works team sent to clear the beaches of Grandes Rocques and Port Soif on Sunday collected more than 40 bags of empty cans and bottles.
The Environment Department said it appeared most of the glass had been deliberately broken on boulders.
It warned the beaches would be unsafe for public use until workers carried out further searches.

Beaches closed for glass clean-up O

Beaches closed for glass clean-up Start_quote_rb I'm appalled that two of our most popular beaches have been put out of use because of the sheer stupidity Beaches closed for glass clean-up End_quote_rb

Deputy Peter Sirett

A fire was also lit using pallets above the high tide mark at Grandes Rocques, leaving a large area of hot debris.
Workers had to sieve through the sand to remove bits of burnt glass, metal and nails from the beach.
The Environment Department is asking for public help to identify those responsible.
Deputy Peter Sirett, environment department minister, described the situation as one of the worst clean-up operations the west coast has ever faced.
He said: "I'm appalled that two of our most popular beaches have been put out of use simply because of the sheer stupidity of some people.
"Broken glass is a hazard in any public area but on a beach it is very dangerous and can cause serious injury.
"Public funds are now being used to clear up after people who have absolutely no excuse for their behaviour." (from BBC News)

Totally senseless...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Beaches closed for glass clean-up Empty Re: Beaches closed for glass clean-up

Post by Thistle Tue 07 Apr 2009, 7:56 am

there are always the few who will spoil things for the majority .as you say totally senseless
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 07 Apr 2009, 10:29 am

Whoever organised it should pay for the cleanup, I have had several discussions with people who say stopping parties on the beach would be wrong but if people just used a little common sense and cleared up after themselves it would not be a problem.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Tue 07 Apr 2009, 7:49 pm

It was probably kids doing what kids do!! Getting together and having a 'laugh'..... meeting mates....... having a beer or two....... etc etc. This has gone on for years and will do so for many more!!

The real difference is the mess that today's kids leave behind them - we live in a disposable society and the kids are used to someone else, whether parent, teacher or whoever cleaning up behind them!

When we were young, speaking for myself of course!!! LOL...... we would have a good time but make sure that we took all of our rubbish with us, respectful of others using the beaches the next day. We also didn't want to cause any annoyance or upset and have someone saying that we couldn't meet up and get together with friends. Seems that youngsters today are either lazy, or just do not care!! 🇳🇴

What do others think?
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Tue 07 Apr 2009, 8:24 pm

I agree Dell we were all young once but as you say we had more respect for our own and other peoples property . As you say nowadays there is someone who has to clear up after , i have no problem with anyone enjoying themselves but in a case like this someone should be held responsible (IE) if a party is going on on a beach / park wherever , someone like a parish constable /police patrol should find the person/s in charge take names of those in charge and if there is any clean up to be done if they are not willing to do it it should be cleaned up by States works and the bill sent on the those responsible . i know this sounds harsh but it would control it and make the hosts think before walking off leaving the venue like a tip.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Tue 07 Apr 2009, 8:37 pm

It is allowed legally to have a fire on the beach, you have to get a permit from the parish/police so someone is responsible when it comes to the clean up. Obviously from Sirets reaction this was an unofficial get together norally there is no problem.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Tue 07 Apr 2009, 8:42 pm

I would think that it is still the case, but it used to be that before you could have a beach party you needed to apply to the (I think!) Environment Dept for a licence. If there was a real mess and SWD had to clear up - you got billed!

Good idea,but it was only ever the law abiding people that applied for a licence and they cleared up!! It is the unlawful and impromptu parties that seem to happen now that are the problem!

Difficult to police that, whether Parish Constable or police, what can you do with 20 - 50 - 100 or even more drunken and excited youngsters, most in drink? I bet you would not be able to get hold of many of the parents to come and collect their kids. Most would probably be out and had a drink themselves!

What a nightmare to address!! Probably why the kids know that no-one can really do anything.

Parents do not seem to have the same responsibility for their offspring as when we were younger. Geez.... have I really just said that? I'm becoming my parent!! Oh dear.....................!!!!! Suspect

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: