www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry

3 posters

Go down

Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry Empty Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry

Post by GD Sat 30 May 2009, 6:09 pm

FORMER Health Minister Stuart Syvret believes there was a brazen attempt at a cover-up following the death of Elizabeth Rourke at the General Hospital in 2006 and is calling for a Committee of Inquiry to investigate.

Yesterday, the Senator lodged a proposition in the States asking for ‘rigorous, independent and expert scrutiny’ into the death of Mrs Rourke (49) who died during a routine operation.
Locum Dr Dolores Moyano Ontiveros was cleared of her manslaughter in January this year, but several questions about the tragedy remain unanswered.

As reported yesterday, hospital consultant John Day is still prevented from working since her death and has been suspended on full pay.

Senator Syvret says that every public administration in Jersey, including Health and Social Services, the Council of Ministers, the chief executive to the States and the States police failed to take the correct and appropriate actions concerning the death of Mrs Rourke (from JEP)

He wont let this one go quiet...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry Empty Re: Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry

Post by boatyboy Wed 01 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

Just read that the debate is on tomorrow so, sorry this is close to the deadline.

The debate is to determine whether the present investigation is the right investigation, using the right people (Consultants UK consultancy Verita ) and to me the most important issue was the investigation and the remit for the investigation put in place by the right people. No not in a month of Sundays, may I explain, but a few historic facts.

Yes we know Jim Perchard got the job as Health Minister and walked into a hell of a storm. None of us would envy the problems he inherited. Lets be fair to the Senator he hit the ground running and was in a position whereby knowing little about running a health service ( like the majority of us ) he got advice from the Chief Executive Mike Pollard who is responsible for all our health. At least that’s what is says in the link below. Eh no actually not really !

The Chief Officer is responsible for the provision of the full range of health and social services for the people of Jersey. His responsibilities include check it out here.

http://www.gov.je/Health/who_we_are/Chief+Officer.htm

So Senator Jim was not only in an unenviable position he is unaware of another storm brewing. During life and death treatment a clinician has been flagged twice. For those of you not familiar with the term. If a mistake is made hospitals have a serious information structure and trail to limit the damage by a medical professional with problems.

A member of staff can raise a flag which will ( or should be ) be reported to senior Consultants and be picked up by management and steps taken to investigate, regarding poor treatment of a patient. This can be deadly if the system is not followed meticulously, its there for a reason.

The locum ( stand in or relief doctor ) had two flags raised. Mike Pollard told the JEP this was not the case and the reporters unknown to him had spoken with Senator Stuart Syvret. So Mike Pollard lied. There is also a problem that investigations must not be carried out ( clearly due to being conflicted ) by staff operating or in any way involved in an incident.

Chief Executive Mike Pollard denied (another word meaning in this context lied ) according to Ben Shenton

To Quote the Senator if I may, in green for clarity.

FORMER Health Minister Ben Shenton has confirmed that one of the consultants who fought to save Elizabeth Rourke when her routine surgery went tragically wrong was initially in charge of the internal inquiry into her death.

Senator Shenton has told the JEP that despite denials from Health director Mike Pollard and another senior Health executive, James Le Feuvre, Dr Richard Lane was definitely involved at the start.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/02/03/consultant-led-original-internal-inquiry-into-death/

Due to the lies and cover according to the JEP, Senator Shenton, and Senator Syvret there needed to be an inquiry.

The real and I suggest the only question is by who ?

In any small Hospital friendships will be close, in this case so close lies have been told by Senior Management as reported by the media. If Mike Pollard or any of his management team picked up so much as a syringe to treat a patient, it would be classed as a deadly weapon and they would be arrested.

The highly trained doctors and consultants ( many of them excellent at the General ) have only one true supreme authority. They issue the Doctors licence to practice and can remove it, they set the highest standards and procedure's that us layman and office workers no nothing of.

This is why it’s a white wash, according to some politicians who have a real idea of what may be unfolding. Mike Pollard is possibly shielding doctors and consultants ( his friends ) from a proper inquiry by those that really know about medicine and make and understand the rules.

What should happen. The Consultant Mr Day, Consultant Richard Lane and any other clinicians involved should be investigated by the General Medical Council to make sure they followed correct procedures and gave correct treatment. The General Medical Council are not afraid of transparency and all findings would be openly published. This could impact on management at the hospital offering contracts that provide more private work over public work for example.

If any Clinician has messed up tough, that’s the way thier inquires work. It's all about best medical practice, and the best treatment for the patient. The GMC website also publishes the best and worst hospitals and more. to get an idea please hit the link.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Statistics/Performancedataandstatistics/HospitalWaitingTimesandListStatistics/index.htm

Jersey says it’s a great hospital but has been removed from all tables for comparison. So how do we know ?

Who has the Chief executive Mike Pollard and his team retained to carry on the investigation ? Verita Consultancy run by a Doctor who works in the Atomic industry, not trained at all in medicine. Unbelievable

Wrong people for sure. We can't blame Senator Jim Perchard he only took advice.

The General Medical Council Link

Welcome to the Good Medical Practice homepage.

About Good Medical Practice

Good Medical Practice sets out the principles and values on which good practice is founded; these principles together describe medical professionalism in action. The guidance is addressed to doctors, but it is also intended to let the public know what they can expect from doctors.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_medical_practice/index.asp

I would hope our good States members will not put up with this charade, do you actually trust the hospital management after this fiasco ? and vote for the proper qualified people to be brought in.

Boatyboy.

boatyboy

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Wed 01 Jul 2009, 2:51 pm

Sorry all just listened to the debate, its is clear that the tail is still wagging the dog in the leadership a sad day for honest people and true justice, I offer this.

It became clear that politicians accepted all the points regarding Verita being conflicted. The management interaction from the time they were employed (by the Management) the remit written ( with the Management) Daily communication with the Managment. Interviews not at a separate private place ( as would be expected) but at the hospital for all to see. Office set up at the Hospital, pop in for a coffee !

Basically it just goes on and on there is a lot more.

It must be said that there were some very good speakers and points made. The truth as it seems to me, is that the status quo group, are not only appearing in the park, but are depriving Jersey of a full board of inquiry. A BoI would have the real authority to search in all the corners and under all the carpet.

It would also be able to instruct witnesses to appear to give evidence. This is optional under Verita at this time.

The one States Deputy that knows the management structure from top to bottom is Deputy Andrew Green. He was a senior catering executive at the Hospital for several decades. He happens to be out of the island. It would be good to have his input. If anyone knows he does.

My own views were expressed many times today by several speakers. The strongest being that the Senior Management at the hospital have been caught out by the media and politicians. Further they are giving us a phoney conflicted enquiry by employing, briefing, helping to write the remit, and as the investigation is half way through, probably dining those that are supposed to be investigating them.

The shame of it all is some of our politicians after being lied to through no fault of there own, are saddled with Consultants who they did not employ but are conflicted,( but now re- briefed ) by the new Health Minister. This state of affairs will do nothing for honesty and integrity in Jerseys Government. for that to be achieved, it must surely be clear that you must start with a clean white sheet. Is this really Justice for the family ?

How dare the Senior Hospital Managers lay this at the door of our politicians, and treat them as morons. How dare our politicians put up with it, and how dare they vote in favour of a conflicted investigation.

I almost forgot, e-mail from Deputy Andrew Green. Quote,

Regrettably I won't be taking part in the debate as I'm currently representing the Minister for ESC in Aland at the Island games. You may be aware that Jersey is bidding for the 2015 games.

Had I been able to take part I had decided to support the bid for an independent inquiry.

Best wishes

Andrew

BB

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Wed 01 Jul 2009, 8:08 pm

Had a States member of standing (apart from Maverick Senator Syvret) put this proposition, then this would probably have passed with flying colours.

Apart from fifteen States members who showed courage and had a true feeling for the implications now and for the future, the proposition was not accepted by thirty-five politicians. So we are left with a conflicted investigation.

Times are slowly changing, very slowly but change is in the wind, the best of all, at the next elections when the recession really has had an impact on the majority, when more blunders and mess ups add fuel to the fire of change. We will have many new politicians replacing the sleepers that always vote with their friends, who do little good service to the long term justice, quality of life and well being of the medium to low earning residents of Jersey.

Boatyboy
Call for Health ‘cover-up’ inquiry Modify_inline

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shafted Wed 01 Jul 2009, 10:07 pm

Surely following this debate, Mike Pollard the CEO of health and Richard Lane the Medical Director should be made to resign.

The management of the health service in Jersey is at best a shambles and at worst deeply corrupt and dangerous. I for one would not want to be admitted or treated in JGH - I know too much about what goes on!

It's time the States members put a vote of no confidence in the senior management of the Health Service. The sooner Mike Pollard goes the better for the people of Jersey.

shafted

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Wed 01 Jul 2009, 11:28 pm

I for one would not want to be admitted or treated in JGH - I know too much about what goes on!

To Quote you.

Please tell us shafted, information is power, and Guersey and Jersey politicians spend far to much of their time in cotton wool. They also read the internet (although most say they don't) many are like rock stars need a following and support. There are some excellent politicians. Not all taxi drivers are bad drivers and speed remember.

Facts and information is the way forward now, it people media. This is why lightweights and shallow politicians hate the internet(bloggs), and overpaid under performing civil servants hate it. bring it on ! I think by the names and your writing you are well informed.

BB

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum