www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services

+5
Dell
Thistle
cockney
bug1
GD
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services Empty Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services

Post by GD Thu 25 Jun 2009, 8:18 pm

PATIENTS could be charged for some services as Health faces an estimated £8m. budget shortfall, it was revealed yesterday.

That amount would merely maintain current levels next year. No significant improvements could be introduced without charging.

Previous reports that had looked into the option of patients paying for pathology, radiology or accident and emergency services could now be dusted off and re-examined.

Health minister Hunter Adam announced the bombshell during question time at yesterday’s States meeting. He was being quizzed about whether the department should do more to maximise income from private patients.

At lunchtime he told the Guernsey Press that the indication from Treasury was that it would recommend his department got around £100m. in total to spend next year to cover items such as staff costs and routine capital.

One major factor in the shortfall was that the department had used about £2.3m. left over from previous years in its budget this year.

‘Every director is looking at their services and what, if any, cuts could be made, cost efficiencies made and unfortunately there will be no significant service developments over the next year,’ said Deputy Adam.

Health had around £1.4m.-worth of service developments that it was prioritising, including colorectal screening and extending breast cancer screening to 45-year-olds. (from thisisguernsey)

Looks like the once free health service is going to be no more...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services Empty Re: Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services

Post by bug1 Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:26 pm

When are ALL the States Depts going to realise that they cannot continue to expand in the current climate.If necessary cut some of their services.We must all take a little pain now or risk a hugely indepted future.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services Empty Re: Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services

Post by cockney Sun 12 Jul 2009, 7:33 am

The day is drawing nearer when failure to provide health insurance will mean no treatment. Just like the USA.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 12 Jul 2009, 8:13 am

looks like we are heading back to the previous health system in guernsey.have to pay for operations and have to pay full price for all drugs supplied on prescription.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 12 Jul 2009, 9:58 am

How much is spent on staff? What portion is spent on recruiting staff from other countries on short term posts due to a lack of housing licences? Is money being needlessly wasted due to various States departments not getting together to resolve staffing / housing issues?

If it is anything like the UK NHS, how many administrators and senior staff are employed and do they actually add value to the whole thing? Would we be better off with fewer bosses and more workers?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:15 am

In Guernsey You pay next to nothing for health care and then bitch about it..............You get what you pay for.........Google what other countries pay for health care......... :x before you come back with a stupid replay.
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:19 am

Now now Alpbach..... !!

What's
a stupid replay
??

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:20 am

Wait and see Dell............... lol!
Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:22 am

I'm waiting ........

Health needs £8m. more just to maintain services Bunnyhitshead

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Sun 12 Jul 2009, 4:12 pm

Albach1 has an interesting attitude. Dell is closer to the truth. I suggest Albach1 that the Guernsey people pay for health care through their taxes. Dell is right, is the money spent correctly ? are the correct checks and balances in place regarding expenditure.

Correct me if I am wrong but Guernsey was clever enough to have a report commisioned on your administration and it was found to be costly, badly run and wastefull. Did the consultants also look at the admin. of your health service ?

As a very rough rule of thumb the lakelands Cumbria area health trust has a £220.million pound budget for 320,000 people. Jersey has a massive budget of £155. million for 95,000 people and guess what, Jersey hospital always has its hand out for more money, and charges for x-rays and extras. Human nature, no accountabilty, no efficient use of resources.

Guernsey politicians if they are doing the job right will make sure that the people are getting good value for money before thinking of asking for more. Laws are easy to pass more difficult to bin.

Boatyboy.

boatyboy

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 12 Jul 2009, 6:54 pm

What taxes? no vat.........very low income tax.......petrol is very cheap........even fags are cheap.etc...etc......... :Rant2:
Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 12 Jul 2009, 9:26 pm

You can tell Alpbach1 does not actually live here
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 12 Jul 2009, 9:37 pm

fags are nearly £5.00 for 20.petrol ranges from 77.9 a litre to 85p a litre.income tax we have had freezes on for the last three years,no loan relief,insurance relief now.vat is not taken off by uk chains and we pay a premium for freightage in some shops.so maybe not so cheap to live here now
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 12 Jul 2009, 9:42 pm

I cannot add anything to that Wayside and Thistle - I think you got it covered.....and it is mooted that when GST does come in it will start at 6%.....Electricity went up 17% and the company (which I thought was Guernsey plc) say they are running at a loss - so guess what for the hike come winter....

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Mon 13 Jul 2009, 10:41 am

Taxpayers fork out £60,000 for Minister's dinner party ... to discuss the credit crunch

http://www.vuedesisles.com/business-news-views-f101/taxpayers-fork-out-60000-gbp-for-ministers-lunch-t2764.htm#27722

THE States has been wasting taxpayers’ money for years, according to a scathing new report.

The damning verdict is contained within a summary report on phase one of the Fundamental Spending Reviews, and confirms many islanders’ worst fears.

Not only has the States allowed a ‘financially profligate culture’ to flourish, the review carried out by consultants Tribal Helm also found that some departments had been providing ‘gold-plated services’ in areas where there was no need for any government involvement.

Tribal Helm, appointed by Treasury and Resources at a cost of £350,000 to carry out the reviews,

http://www.vuedesisles.com/tax-and-finance-f9/how-the-states-has-squandered-your-cash-t3331.htm

The question needs to be asked are Guernsey Politian’s acting on this report. Do they have the backbone to carry out the reforms needed to put the financial house in order before raiding people’s wallets and purses for more money by way of higher taxes? The waste culture must be focused upon and addressed.

The nice but not needed ( or essential ) must be put on hold. If working families can work it out why can’t a bunch of politicians sing from the same hymn sheet? Or are they just playing silly games with your money. There must also be some responsibility by the public to make their feelings felt.

If the Politicians who paid £350,000 for consultants who are paid to weed out bad and wasteful corporate practices ( Tribal Helm ) why are the public and local media not demanding action. Is there any affirmative action in the corridors of power? Or is that too much like hard and troublesome work for the leaders ?

Just raid the people’s income with another quick tax fix law.

This of course fixes nothing. The waste and expenditure keeps going up, passing the problem along the line. Worse the Government by taxing more, simply means people have to earn more, so it fuels inflation, this will not help the tourism industry.

Boatyboy.

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 13 Jul 2009, 10:43 am

If they 'pulled their socks up' and did well by us the taxpayer - who would the next government blame for everything???

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Mon 13 Jul 2009, 4:57 pm

Thistle wrote:fags are nearly £5.00 for 20.petrol ranges from 77.9 a litre to 85p a litre.income tax we have had freezes on for the last three years,no loan relief,insurance relief now.vat is not taken off by uk chains and we pay a premium for freightage in some shops.so maybe not so cheap to live here now

UK chains may not take off VAT but it is still TAX FREE.................You still pay very little income tax............fags and petrol are still more expensive everywhere else..............You are still missing the point .....Heath care costs a lot of money.....Guernsey is still a tax haven. or tax heaven if you like that better...so if you want better heath care pay more like other countries and stop bitching about it.......

Wayside..........you are so right I don't live in Guernsey any more but I still have Guernsey blood running though my veins................can you say the same?
Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 13 Jul 2009, 5:11 pm

Well not that I see what your point is but I suppose I do have Guernsey Blood running through my veins as my mother was born in Guernsey as were her mother, grand mother and many generations before her makes me quite local, and I have lived here for the past 46 years so is that not local enough for you.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 13 Jul 2009, 6:11 pm

costs me £38 to see my doctor plus a £21 charge for a blood test.about £150 for a one way trip in an ambulance.any tests carried out at the surgery is chargeable as is a&e at the peh.a smear test is £75 if carried out by a doctor cant remember what it is if the nurse does it seem to think about £40.i dont want the island to go back to paying full cost for operations.maybe treasury should be admitting that 0/10 was totally flawed and now look at 0/20 from the beginning of 2010.there will then be more money in the pot
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Tue 14 Jul 2009, 6:22 pm

Certainly an emotive subject!

One has to wonder if the other States Departments have similiar money problems, if they are more prudent and therefore less wasteful, or have they previously 'over-egged' their budget requests and are only now slightly having to pull in their wasteful previous years?

What do you think?

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:33 am

There is no point in getting good information unless the leaders (Politian’s) grab the nettle and bring accountability and efficiency to spending the taxpayers money. This goes hand in hand with good governance.
Mr Swinson’s report was researched and compiled against a background of promised States economies and cost-savings. Those promised savings are, in fact, part of the very foundation of the plan to mitigate the
effects of forecast shortfalls in revenue in coming years.

Sadly, it is hard to appreciate how effective savings programmes can be followed through if financial controls are so fuzzy that no one really understands fully which funds are being applied to which purposes

Mr Swinson has spoken and attention must now be paid to what he has said. States departments, and in particular their senior staff, clearly have a role to play in tightening up deficient financial control. It is, however, to States Members, and particularly the Council of Ministers, that we must look for the firm guiding hand which will be necessary if the
impression of ruthless efficiency which they are so eager to project is to be
transformed from fantasy into fact

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/07/06/controls-on-states-spending/

Boatyboy.

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Wed 15 Jul 2009, 1:26 pm

Thistle.......150 pounds is a lot of money for an ambulance but my point is other countries
still pay much more .... a helicopter ambulance in Austria will cost thousands of pounds even though we pay double for our heath care.....You already have told us that you were brought back to life....How can you put a price on that? Health care in Guerney is excellent and the doctors and staff work often long and hard hours.....show a little good will......................
Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Wed 15 Jul 2009, 3:25 pm

alpbach1, the issue is that islanders pay taxes to a central pot, out of this pot services including health are taking thier cut.

You say other countries, we all know about America if thats what you mean but other countries is a broad statement, a generalisation.

Prove in figures and facts from other countries that Guernsey tax payers and the budget for the hospital is poor per head of population, while the efficency in the hospital spending is professional and the best that they can do, otherwise all you are giving us is hearsay.

Boatyboy.

boatyboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Wed 15 Jul 2009, 4:11 pm

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_hea_car_fun_tot_per_cap-care-funding-total-per-capita

At the start I said ''Google''..above is for people who can't understand this simple task.
Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Wed 15 Jul 2009, 4:13 pm

Alpy
Alpy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum