www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot weather advice

3 posters

Go down

Hot weather advice Empty Hot weather advice

Post by GD Mon 29 Jun 2009, 7:32 pm

People in Jersey are being advised to drink plenty of water and to stay in the shade between 11am and 3pm, as temperatures rise over the next few days.

Jersey’s Met office is forecasting highs of 29 degrees Celsius on Thursday. Principal Meteorological Officer, Anthony Pallot, said: “Although temperatures are expected to become hot by midweek we are not forecasting a heat wave. The UK Met Office is currently assessing the heat wave risk in the south west at 50%. For Jersey the risk is lower than this; indeed, we are forecasting relatively cooler weather (lower 20s) from Friday and into the early part of next week.”

However, the Public Health Department are advising people to take care. Hot weather can cause dehydration which can have serious effects on health, particularly for older people, babies and children.

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can also develop suddenly in hot weather as Medical Officer of Health, Dr Rosemary Geller explained: “Watch out for cramp in your arms, legs and stomach, feelings of mild confusion, weakness or problems sleeping. If you should start to develop these symptoms you should move to somewhere cool and try to drink plenty of water or fruit juice. Sponging yourself down with lukewarm water can help too. Seek medical advice if symptoms get worse or don’t go away.”

The Department has issued the following advice to help people avoid the worst of the heat:

• Keep out of the heat – Avoid going out during the hottest part of the day (11am-3pm). If you must go out, stay in the shade. Wear a hat and loose fitting clothes and make sure you have plenty of water.

• Stay cool – Stay inside, in the coolest rooms. Close curtains in sunny rooms, keep windows closed while the room is cooler than the outside. Splash yourself with cool water during the day, particularly your face and the back of your neck.

• Drink regularly – Water and fruit juice are best. Drink even if you don’t feel thirsty. Try to avoid alcohol, tea and coffee which can increase dehydration. Eating salads and fruit can help too.

• Help others – Keep a check on older people who you know are living on their own and make sure they have the advice and support they need. (from gov.je)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Hot weather advice Empty Re: Hot weather advice

Post by karma Mon 29 Jun 2009, 10:59 pm

And above all folks....enjoy yourself because by the time you've taken all those precautions - the rainy season will once more be upon us...and you will have missed the best of the summer!!!! with winter looming ever nearer..... :-) :x :-)

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bek Tue 30 Jun 2009, 7:27 am

What it boils down to Karma, use your common sense.

Bek

Female
Number of posts : 832
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 30 Jun 2009, 9:11 am

Yep Bek, I agree entirely, just makes you wonder with the 'nanny state' whether any of todays generations have been left with any to use :x ....as these days it seems if you still retain your common sense it qualifies you to become an 'expert' :-) (maybe the 'powers that be' would like to pay us to impart our knowledge....)

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bek Tue 30 Jun 2009, 12:10 pm

We could teach them a thing or two, if the pay was good enough!

Bek

Female
Number of posts : 832
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down