www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive

5 posters

Go down

Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive Empty Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive

Post by GD Tue 08 Dec 2009, 7:50 pm

Subsidies should be given to growers in Guernsey to safeguard the industry's future, the president of the Guernsey Growers Association has said.
Alan Dorey said they do not get any support at all and that needs to change if they are to survive in the future.
In the 1970s there were nearly 2,500 businesses involved in the industry but there are now just 79 in operation.
He said: "It would be good to have some support to keep the industry going and try to maintain the glasshouses." (from BBC)

Why do the the growing industry think they are the only ones who need subsidies, 100's of other businesses in this Island would love to have a subsidy to help them survive
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive Empty Re: Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive

Post by bug1 Wed 09 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

Possibly the reason there were 2,500 businesses in the70's was because we were subsidising them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive Empty Re: Guernsey Growers need subsidies to survive

Post by The Gimp Wed 09 Dec 2009, 4:28 pm

I dont think we did back then, thats why they couldnt compete with subsidised european market..
The Gimp
The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by stupot Sun 31 Jan 2010, 8:59 pm

How many LOCAL people are still employed in the industry . . . . Not many, I would suggest.

Perhaps if my business has a bad month I should ask the States for a subsidy ?

If you can't run a business sustainably, then get out. Don't try scrounging my tax money !!!

stupot

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by local guy Sun 31 Jan 2010, 9:14 pm

would you pull all states subsidies ?
local guy
local guy

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down