www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isle of Man government endorse electric cars

2 posters

Go down

Isle of Man government endorse electric cars Empty Isle of Man government endorse electric cars

Post by GD Tue 15 Dec 2009, 7:45 am

e-Go’s electric cars have been getting high level attention in the Isle of Man, with Government ministers taking the opportunity to drive them and express their support for e-Go’s vision.

The Honourable Tony Brown MHK, Chief Minister of the Isle of Man Government took the opportunity to meet on a rainy dark evening with e-Go founder Steve Burrows, Quintin Gill MHK, Chairman of the Manx Electricity Authority (MEA) and Ashton Lewis, Chief Executive of the MEA, to discuss the future of electric vehicles and take e-Go’s electric C1 ev’ie for a test drive. Mr. Brown said:
“I was delighted to have the opportunity to test drive this stylish electric car. I wish e-Go every success in championing the use of this cutting edge technology. The length of many journeys in the Isle of Man are well suited to harnessing this type of technology, and the associated environmental benefits mean that more and more people should consider electric powered vehicles as a potential alternative to petrol and diesel engines”.

Chairman of the MEA Quintin Gill MHK said “The Authority is pleased to assist e-Go in addition to other electric vehicle users via the provision of the various charging station we now have located across the Island. The project has given electric vehicles an excellent boost and we are very much looking forward to encouraging further users by releasing a new EV(Electric Vehicle) tariff shortly. As part of the awareness campaign, the e-Go vehicle is also to visit Tynwald on 16 December where other politicians will be given the opportunity to test-drive it. I hope we can look forward to a positive future for electric vehicles on the Isle of Man.”

Whilst on a separate (and sunnier) occasion a few days before, the Honourable John Shimmin MHK, Minister for Local Government and the Environment, took a similar opportunity to have a drive and discuss low carbon transport and clean technology with Steve Burrows.

Mr. Shimmin said:

“I was very impressed with the electric car. The ease and simplicity of driving, the convenience of recharging at home, and the remarkable quietness of it, combined with the obvious benefit of no noxious exhaust emissions exemplify the reasons why electric cars are the way of the future and will be an increasingly important component of personal transport in the coming years.”

“I welcome e-Go’s initiative in bringing these advanced vehicles to the small market of the Isle of Man, the technology is clearly a good match for the motoring needs of island residents and will help to keep the island cleaner, greener and quieter for the benefit of us all.”

“Electric vehicles have a particular significance to the island. The first TTXGP, which was a great success earlier this year, gained worldwide media attention and applause for the Isle of Man. The technical developments achieved this year by the technologists who created those first electric racing motorcycles, and the developments that will emerge from TTXGP in future years, will be important components in the evolution of environmentally-acceptable everyday personal transportation for worldwide use. In order to remove barriers to uptake locally, I have arranged, in partnership with the Manx Electricity Authority, to provide electricity charging points in local car parks, for use by electric cars or motorcycles. These have been installed as a trial to judge uptake, and I would hope we can make them permanent if there is enough interest from members of the public.”

“Whilst e-Go is focused on delivering the benefits of Electric Vehicles to island residents and making the Isle of Man the World Leader in zero-emission automobile adoption, the geography of the island and the technical expertise being grown here make the Isle of Man the ideal location for incubating and developing zero-emission vehicle and clean-tech businesses. The island has already attracted companies, such as Bladon Jets who are playing an important part in the development of future electric and hybrid vehicles, to base themselves here. I hope that other entrepreneurs and technologists will see that our island, which so clearly embraces change and progress, is the ideal location in which to establish and develop green, clean and environment-driven businesses.” (from ICfeed)

About time the Channel Islands Goverment moved forward with pushing electric vehicles for the Islands
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Isle of Man government endorse electric cars Empty Re: Isle of Man government endorse electric cars

Post by kingcolemk Tue 15 Dec 2009, 9:39 am

I have an electric powered mobility scooter and I can assure you that electric vehicles are far from pratical.

Firstly I find that for an hours use, approximately 3 hours recharging is needed to top up the batteries again.

Secondly the range of a charged up vehicle varies tremendously depending on speed, load and hillyness of route.

Thirdly one is never sure how much power is left in the battery at any time, so you are never sure how far you have left before needing a charge.

Forthly acceleration is poor.

Fifthly batteries last about 2/3 years and on my scooter cost about £200 to replace. Gawd knows what a set of batteries for heavy car would cost.

In my view this is yet another initiative being pushed by vested interest aided and abetted by a naive government.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum