www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cycle helmets to become law?

+5
kat
kingcolemk
bug1
Spirit
GD
9 posters

Go down

Cycle helmets to become law? Empty Cycle helmets to become law?

Post by GD Mon 04 Jan 2010, 5:26 pm

CYCLISTS could soon be forced to wear helmets by law.
Deputy Andrew Green is taking a proposition to the States to require cyclists to wear helmets. His proposition, which has yet to be formally lodged, would offer States Members the option to either require all cyclists to wear helmets, or just to apply the rule to under-18s.
The Deputy’s son Chris suffered a brain injury when he came off his bike aged nine, and Deputy Green has spent the 20 years since the accident campaigning for more awareness of the effects of brain injuries.
He is now the chairman of UK charity Headway, which has campaigned nationally for a cycle helmet law. ‘The evidence is very clear that helmets do save brain injuries and so save lives and the UK Department of Transport have just come out with a report saying that,’ said Deputy Green, whose proposition will cover cyclists on roads, cycle tracks and off-road. (from JEP)

Sounds like a sensible idea to me, I cannot understand why quad bike users are allowed to ride without protective headgear...

Do you think that it should be compulsory to wear a helmet if riding a cycle?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Cycle helmets to become law? Empty Re: Cycle helmets to become law?

Post by Spirit Mon 04 Jan 2010, 6:40 pm

The Guernsey Bicycle Group are against compulsory helmets, although their use is encouraged.

The main reason for being against a law to force their use is that is has been shown to reduce the number of people who cycle and the number of cycle journeys.

LINKEY
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Mon 04 Jan 2010, 8:05 pm

I still don't think seat belts or motorcycle helmets should be compulsary but as they are it is an anomaly to allow cyclists to be on the road without.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 05 Jan 2010, 9:36 am

Just how effective are cycle helmets ? They don't look very robust or secure, do they.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 05 Jan 2010, 10:05 am

they save a posties life last year ,i would call that very effective !
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 19 Feb 2010, 7:04 am

COMPELLING cyclists to wear helmets would put people off riding, a Jersey deputy said last night.
Daniel Wimberley was guest speaker at last evening’s Guernsey Bicycle Group annual general meeting.
He outlined the benefits of improving cycle facilities in the Channel Islands but warned: ‘If wearing a cycle helmet was compulsory there will be fewer cyclists.
‘We need to promote cycling as much as possible and inform people of the benefits, like less land being needed for parking and things like that.
‘If there are more cyclists then the safer they will be – it’s all about safety in numbers.’
Deputy Wimberley has been campaigning against a proposal by fellow Jersey deputy Andrew Green, who believes wearing a helmet while cycling should be compulsory.
‘He is looking at it from a very narrow view,’ said Deputy Wimberley. (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Fri 19 Feb 2010, 7:53 am

I was at that meeting. It lasted about two hours and the guest speaker was there to talk about how the excellent cycling infrastructure was brought in around Jersey. Cycle helmet use made up about 1% of the talk. In fact, the Press reporter left the meeting before the talk even started.
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Fri 19 Feb 2010, 8:29 pm

I agree they should be made law. They are compulsory in cycling events. I have seen the damge to a helmet and if it was the head the person would not be walking and talking today. If they are made law I hope they include that they are securely fitted.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Fri 19 Feb 2010, 10:04 pm

Where will it all end?First it will be compulsary helmets then they'll make cyclists follow the highway code!Thin edge of the wedge I say!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 20 Feb 2010, 5:22 am

Safe end of the wedge I would say

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by x360 Sat 20 Feb 2010, 8:06 am

the problem with cycle helmets is they only protect the top and back of the head which is good if you get hit from behind, but the good old fashion face plant into the ground it aint gonna do jack. And I have the scars to prove it. it should be personal choice.

x360

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sat 20 Feb 2010, 11:17 am

Freedom of choice i say.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 20 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

x360 wrote:the problem with cycle helmets is they only protect the top and back of the head which is good if you get hit from behind, but the good old fashion face plant into the ground it aint gonna do jack. And I have the scars to prove it. it should be personal choice.

A total iron face mask combined to a srturdy iron head protector would be better but it is not practicable and the idea of cycle helmets is to reduce the risk of serious injury to a person when they fall off a bike. They can not cover every eventually or circumstance.

As for freedom of choice there are several ways to look at that arguement it is not my choice as a family member to grieve when a cycle helmet would have saved. Not to wear is almost selfish on those you leave behind or have to care for someone that has sustained severe head injuries.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 25 Feb 2010, 11:12 am

Spirit wrote:I was at that meeting. It lasted about two hours and the guest speaker was there to talk about how the excellent cycling infrastructure was brought in around Jersey. Cycle helmet use made up about 1% of the talk. In fact, the Press reporter left the meeting before the talk even started.

This is from the minutes of the meeting

Guest Speaker, Deputy Daniel Wimberley, wasintroduced and welcomed to the meeting. The idea to invite Daniel Wimberley, founder of the Jersey Cycling Group, was as a result of GBG committee member Andrew Linehan returning from several cycling trips to Jersey with his family during 2009 with glowing reports of the cycling experiences in the other isle.
Daniel’s speech was very informative and thought provoking and his belligerence had resulted in many aspects of cycle facilities being ahead of Guernsey’s. However he did state that the topography of Jersey provided some certain advantages than Guernsey with many of Jersey’s valleys and roads emanating from the south of the island providing gentle gradients to the upper parishes. This factor and the south coast cycle path from St Helier westwards gave the basis for a very usable cycling network. A summary of his speech is below; -

Danieland his wife Anna were founder members of the Jersey Cycling Group in 1992.
Together they run Jersey Cycle Tours which, as the name suggest, runs guided tours of Jersey for English and continental visitors and the business also involves the hiring of bikes.

Daniel paid tribute to Mac Polard in Jersey who initiated the concept of the Green lane cycle network and he was also successful in getting through the mandatory speed limit of 15mph for all the identified green lanes. This was a crucial success and one that favourably changed attitudes of other road users towards the vulnerable road users.

Daniel pointed out that the message of improving facilities for cycling has been hard going and at times it felt that no one was listening.

Another step forward in public perception was during National Bike Week of 1997 when the JCG created wall to wall publicity in the Press throughout the week. He reiterated that soft PR whereby all opportunities to photograph or write about cycling should be maintained as much as possible.

The “Terry the Train” saga gave further continuous opportunities to shout for the protection of cycle facilities in Jersey.
“Terry the Train” is one of the tourist road trains that decided that as part of its route it would drive along the south coast cycle path west from St Helier presenting a danger and inconvenience to cyclists on that path. Daniel pursued a long campaign to change this and gave him many opportunities for press articles referring to same. In the end it was decided that “Terry the Train” and cyclists do not mix.

In the late nineties Daniel had a meeting with Alec Le Suer, the head of European Marketing for Jersey Tourism. Daniel explained that the claim by Jersey Tourism brochures that Jersey was ideal for cycling was not correct and in fact that many Europeans would have found the facilities far worse than the ones they had left at home. There were at the time very few little in the way of cycle route signs, few cycle parking facilities and no designated cycle tour routes. The “Tourist Development Fund” was used to create the cycle tour routes. The fund committed £250k to the project and JCG was paid to research these routes and create a network and photograph every junction proposing the appropriate signage.

Daniel illustrated on a slide a map showing the favourable topography of Jersey with the valleys from the south emanating like fingers up to the upper parishes.

Currently 99% of Daniel’s hire cycle customers are happy to say that Jersey’s cycling facilities are great.

The disused railway had become a very popular cycle path but not without the usual struggle for acceptance. It had been long known as a walkway but Daniel used to use it as part of one of his tours. This avoided his group using a main road but it was pointed out to him that he was breaking the law. His well know determination and negotiations over two years got the law re written and now the shared use see walkers and cyclists both using it without any problems.

The Tourist Development Fund had just financed a new cycle route to Jersey Airport and a further £500k is pledged to create a cycle path along the east coast of Jersey.

Daniel introduced discussions on the best type of cycle parking. The less aesthetic squarer ones were better for parking cycles against then the rounder ones.
Jersey has had a continuing programme of installing cycle parks throughout St Helier and the more they install the more are used. At present official figures report that 900 cyclists commute into St Helier daily which statistically equates to 675 car parking spaces saved. Francis responded that one of GBG’s flops was to have allowed the removal of the cycle parking at the east side of the market development in Guernsey without pursuing the claims by developers that these would be reinstated at the end of the project. Guernsey has a diminishing cycle parking facility in St Peter Port. Francis further reported that the cycle parking facilities at the St Sampsons High School had been set at 200 but had been increased to 250 by demand. This was presumed because of the cycle contra flow in the area successfully encouraging cycling to school by the pupils there.

A slide was shown of an aerial shot of a car park in central St Helier. It had a capacity of 580 car park spaces and illustrated the capacity for land saved by the 900 cyclists currently cycling into the town centre each day. The car parks have an enormous land value and Daniel was surprised that currently Guernsey offers free parking and doesn’t seek to recover some of the value attached to the parking facilities in Guernsey.

Jersey’s current transport strategy under negotiation has been drafted with a stated aim of reducing car use in St Helier by 15% in five years at a target rate of 3% each year. There is a huge potential of encouraging cycling for environmental factors, health er population, less land use for car parking etc. but it is for governments to have the desire to tap into this potential.

There is statistical data in Jersey which suggests that over 50% of people would consider other forms of transport than the car.
Deputy Peter Sirrett suggested that this left a question as to why they don’t and Daniel responded that it did illustrate that there is an aspiration and positive potential for getting people to change their long term transport options.

Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 25 Feb 2010, 7:11 pm

It would appear that the writer of the minutes also left before the helmets were mentioned.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zac Fri 26 Feb 2010, 5:34 pm

What a load of bo---cks! I would STOP riding bike if forced to wear an Easter egg!

Zac

Male
Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down