www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site

3 posters

Go down

Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site Empty Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site

Post by GD Tue 19 Jan 2010, 2:13 pm

An anonymous donor has pledged £1m to help buy a former holiday camp in order to return the site to nature, the National Trust for Jersey has said.
Mike Stentiford, trust president, said the charity was grateful for the donation and hoped it would encourage others to give to the Plemont campaign.
Last month, Mr Stentiford wrote to the States asking that no new development be permitted at the site.
The States Assembly is due to debate the purchase of the camp this week.
Mr Stentiford said he hoped the offer would encourage islanders "who love their island home and recognise the true intrinsic value of our coastline to consider following suit".
But he said a price of more than £14m has been put on the site so there was a long way to go.
In November, BDK architects unveiled plans to build 30 homes on the former Pontin's site at Plemont, leaving two-thirds of the site to be returned to nature
In his letter to the Chief Minister, Senator Terry le Sueur, Mr Stentiford said the purchase of Plemont "presents a once in a lifetime opportunity" to preserve the island and the trust had received more than 10,000 signatures backing this. (from BBC)

Somehow I think that this site will turn into a housing development..
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site Empty Re: Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site

Post by Alpy Tue 19 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

''Somehow I think that this site will turn into a housing development''..
than what will happen to the £1m? Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site Lol
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site Empty Re: Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site

Post by bug1 Tue 19 Jan 2010, 11:37 pm

alpbach1 wrote:''Somehow I think that this site will turn into a housing development''..
than what will happen to the £1m? Donor pledges £1m to buy Plemont Site Lol
The offer is subject to the site NOT being built on,not a gift to the Trust
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 20 Jan 2010, 2:08 pm

THE States have voted by a narrow margin against buying an area of Plémont headland to return it to nature.
They rejected the Constable of St Ouen’s proposition to buy the former Pontins Holiday Camp site by compulsory purchase by 23 to 19 at lunchtime today.
Yesterday, a majority of politicians spoke against forcing the owner of the Plémont site to sell his land instead of pursuing an application to build 30 houses and to return two thirds of the site to its natural state.
Early on in the debate, Chief Minister Terry Le Sueur warned Members that going down the compulsory purchase route was a ‘dangerous’ one that they could not go back on. He said: ‘This proposition has the potential to be extremely dangerous. I urge Members to read the proposition in conjunction with the legal process of compulsory purchase.(from JEP)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down