www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT

3 posters

Go down

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Empty Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT

Post by GD Thu 21 Jan 2010, 7:00 pm

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has launched an investigation into companies that offer cash for gold jewellery by post.
The OFT is reviewing the companies' terms and conditions to check that customers are being treated fairly.
In particular there is concern that consumers' rights to reject an offer and get their gold back is not always being honoured.
There is no assumption that the firms have broken the law, the OFT said.

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT OGold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Start_quote_rb The cash for gold market is unregulated, and this investigation has raised some serious concerns about the fair treatment of consumers Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT End_quote_rb

Peter Vicary-Smith, chief executive, Which?

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Inline_dashed_line

What's the 'true' value of your gold?

The price of gold has reached new records over the past few months, and so companies that exchange people's gold for cash have grown in popularity.
"Buying gold using the postal service is a relatively new business model... we want to check that the market and businesses operating in it are developing in a way that treats customers fairly," said Juliet Young, the OFT's consumer market group director.
The OFT is also asking to hear, via its website, about consumers' experiences of using these firms.
Separately, Which? Money described them "as shockingly bad value".
Research for the consumer group showed that the gold companies that advertise on television offer an average of just 6% of the gold's retail value.
"The cash for gold market is unregulated, and this investigation has raised some serious concerns about the fair treatment of consumers," said Peter Vicary-Smith, chief executive of Which? (from BBC)

I know a friend sent some gold away and didn't get a lot for it...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Empty Re: Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT

Post by steve 19 Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:02 pm

If any members here are considering selling their gold, don't post it. You should always be there while they weigh it. Also, don't take the first offer you get, shop around. They want your gold , to make money, so be careful who you deal with. Simples !!! Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Icon_surprised
steve 19
steve 19

Male
Number of posts : 1272
Job/hobbies : Motorsport
Humor : Hell yes
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT Empty Re: Gold-buying post companies investigated by OFT

Post by karma Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:33 pm

I took my substantial amount to a reputable jeweller - also a friend of my late husband!! (situated near the airport) I had done my homework and when he made me an offer I just stared at him in amazement (he was offering £3.00 less than the market price on 9ct gold and I didn't even bother to ask him about the 18 and 22 ct) so I said thanks but no thanks (this was a month ago) so he said if you are not desperate to sell wait another 6 month/year and it will treble in value! - so it is not only postal offers you have to beware of - do your homework first!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down