www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bailiwick Arctic expedition for wounded troops

Go down

Bailiwick Arctic expedition for wounded troops Empty Bailiwick Arctic expedition for wounded troops

Post by GD Wed 03 Feb 2010, 12:42 pm

A team of Bailiwick adventurers is on track to cross one of the world’s biggest – and coldest - islands on foot, to raise money for wounded British troops.

Five Channel Islanders will don skis and attempt to haul fully loaded sleds across Baffin Island this spring, to raise funds for Help for Heroes.

Simon Elmont, team member and former soldier who has trekked there before, explained: ‘Baffin is the fifth biggest island on earth, with a challenging climate and some demanding terrain. To cross it will require fitness, teamwork and determination, which are all qualities of a good soldier, so it’s a nice way to help those who have suffered serious injuries in the line of duty.’

Mr Elmont, of Sark, has already undertaken several Arctic expeditions with colleague Steve Wright, of Alderney.The pair will be joined by Mark Wordsworth, Declan Gaudion and Mike Doyle, who will make up the five-man team.

The expedition will be the first visit to the Arctic for Alderney Lifeboat Coxswain Declan Gaudion, who commented: ‘I serve with Steve [Wright] on the Lifeboat and take a keen interest in his expeditions, so I was very pleased when this opportunity came along.’ He added: ‘This is a totally new experience for me, so it’s going to be a real personal challenge. I’m looking forward to it.’

Located in the new Canadian Territory Nunavut, Baffin Island lies within the Arctic Ocean of Northern Canada. It is extremely remote, with most of the 11,000-strong population living in the capital Iqaluit. At 1500 km long and between 200-700 km wide, it is the largest island in Canada and the fifth-largest island in the world.

Mr Elmont said that Bailiwick team can expect to face temperatures of -40°C, as well as Arctic storms, plus the very real possibility of meeting Polar Bears: ‘It’s definitely a challenge but it’s do-able, which is what makes it appealing. I’m confident that with the right preparation we’ll achieve our aim, but that’s not to say it will be easy.’

Marco Ciotti, Joint Channel Islands Coordinator of Help for Heroes, commented: ’This will be a tough expedition and we’re very grateful that Simon and the team have pledged their support.’ He added: ‘All the money they raise will be used to provide direct, practical support to those wounded in the service of our country, so every penny is welcome. We wish them the best of luck.’

The team will depart Guernsey on 19 March and will take to the ice 22 March. They anticipate returning home on Saturday 3 April. Islanders wishing to support the Help for Heroes Baffin expedition team can send a donation to Simon Elmont, The Telephone Exchange, Sark GY9 0SD or visit www.justgiving.com/simon-elmont. (from ICF)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down