www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

3 posters

Go down

Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars Empty Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Post by GD Tue 23 Mar 2010, 7:34 pm

Wales has become the first part of the UK to outlaw the use of electric shock collars to train cats and dogs.
The ban, passed by assembly members, means from midnight anyone caught using the devices faces a fine of up to £20,000 or six months in prison.
Animal welfare groups such as the RSPCA and the Kennel Club supported the move.
The Electronic Collar Manufacturers' Association said it feared the ban could lead to an influx of unmanageable pets into dog shelters.
The collars are sometimes used to train dogs and cats by giving an electric shock when the animal is deemed to have behaved badly.
Wales' Rural Affairs Minister Elin Jones, who announced plans for the ban last month, said she was "very pleased".
"It is important that owners are aware of the ban, and that they now take appropriate steps to comply with the law," she added.
"I'm pleased that as a government, we are taking a proactive approach to promoting the welfare of animals by banning the use of such electronic training devices in Wales."
The RSPCA said it believed there was no place for shock collars in modern animal training and recommended the use of reward-based methods instead.
The Kennel Club said the ban would be a "huge milestone for dog welfare".
Its members staged a display outside the Senedd in Cardiff Bay before the vote.
But manufacturers said the devices helped to successfully train dogs not to chase livestock, or attack other pets or people.
Duncan McNair, of the Electronic Collar Manufacturers' Association, said: "It's a bad idea because more dogs will die, more dogs will have to be re-homed and more owners will have to be distressed at having to give up their pets."
He said there were around 500,000 of the collars in the UK and said, at a rough estimate, there were around 20,000 in Wales.
"I wouldn't dream of suggesting that people disobey the law, everybody will be making their own decision about what they do, but what I do think is that if a large number of people who use them stop using them, there will be an influx of dogs into dog shelters." (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars Empty Re: Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Post by kat Wed 24 Mar 2010, 11:20 am

they should put them on some thugs .or those let out of prison on a curfew .if not home by the said time give them a shock.they will soon learn to sick to the rules
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars Empty Re: Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Post by bug1 Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:29 pm

Brilliant idea Kat! Can I be in charge of the voltage level?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum