www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free

+4
bug1
blanche du bois
Thistle
GD
8 posters

Go down

Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free Empty Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free

Post by GD Fri 04 Jun 2010, 12:51 pm

Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free 0979792_175

Gasp field officer Marco Tersigni and chairman Alun Williams with, from the left, Millie Graham, 8, Noah Falla, 8, Leah Taylor, 8, Marnie Falla, 6, and Violet Falla, 4. (Picture by Steve Sarre, 0979792)

SAUMAREZ PARK has become the first play area in Guernsey to become smoke-free.
In an effort to protect youngsters, signs have been put up around the children’s play area asking people not to light up there.
Guernsey Adolescent Smoke-free Project chairman Alun Williams said their main aim was to prevent young people from taking up smoking in the first place.
‘There are some health risks associated with passive smoking outside but what’s more important is the less young people are exposed to smoke, the less likely they are to smoke as they get older.’ (frrom thisisguernsey)

mmm can't see this working....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free Empty Re: Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free

Post by Thistle Fri 04 Jun 2010, 4:32 pm

totally draconian measures in my humble opinion x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free Empty Re: Saumarez Park play area is the first to go smoke-free

Post by blanche du bois Sun 06 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

Its a childrens play area Im totally for it being non smoking . The park is big enough to have a smoke in if you are that way inclined . I dont want my children exposed to smokers when they are playing ..........

blanche du bois

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Sun 06 Jun 2010, 6:32 pm

So no risk to health having the playgound next to a car park then?Last time I was there I nearly choked on the diesel fumes!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blanche du bois Sun 06 Jun 2010, 7:05 pm

Im not saying anything about health risks Im talking about them watching and learning by seeing people smoke that is more my concern .

blanche du bois

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Sun 06 Jun 2010, 8:56 pm

blanche du bois wrote:Im not saying anything about health risks Im talking about them watching and learning by seeing people smoke that is more my concern .

Sorry Blanche but where is the danger unless it is health?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by nan Sun 06 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm

My husband and myself were both smoker's for years,,we brought up 5 children and not one of them wanted to smoke,,
so it is not a fact.. that if children see others smoking they are going to do the same.
nan
nan

Female
Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 07 Jun 2010, 1:55 pm

Neither of my parents smoked - but it was a 'rite of passage' when I was growing up .... all adverts were so glamouous (Audrey Hepburn - slinky dress and long diamante cigarette holder.....) so I started - then I worked in catering and everybody smoked......but even while every body was smoking around me I gave up - personal choice - and I have to say that all the 'do gooders' that I didn't vote in, but are taking our liberty away with their do as I say - make me want to reach for a fag - just to calm down - and if they had been around when I gave up I have no doubt at all that I would not have given in to the pressure....and still be smoking now - something to do with civil rights and dislike of preaching......

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Mon 07 Jun 2010, 5:06 pm

Good post Karma.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blanche du bois Mon 07 Jun 2010, 5:36 pm

So you would all be for going to a childrens playground and lighting up then ??? All Im saying is there are lots of places in the open air for smokers to go just a childrens playground is not one of them thats all .......

Its common sense though probably no need for legislation about it !

blanche du bois

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by schoolyjo Mon 07 Jun 2010, 9:53 pm

so is this just a request not to smoke a cigarette in a play park, a bit like please keep off the grass and admit it how many of you have seen those signs and just HAD to put a foot on the grass!! or is this a sign that tells you that legally your not allowed at all to smoke there?

schoolyjo

Female
Number of posts : 177
Humor : exceedlingly wicked
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 07 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm

schoolyjo wrote:so is this just a request not to smoke a cigarette in a play park, a bit like please keep off the grass and admit it how many of you have seen those signs and just HAD to put a foot on the grass!! or is this a sign that tells you that legally your not allowed at all to smoke there?

I think it will start out as a request and end up as a crime!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 07 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm

ote="blanche du bois"]So you would all be for going to a childrens playground and lighting up then ??? All Im saying is there are lots of places in the open air for smokers to go just a childrens playground is not one of them thats all .......

Its common sense though probably no need for legislation about it ![/quote]

I think people who smoke do a lot less harm to their children than those who get drunk and beat their children up....I am 68 this year and everybody smoked around me when I was young (except my parents) and I am going to die of something - but not exposure to smoking....when are people going to realise that our life is finite and it should be enjoyed - we can elongate it to an extent - but not indefinitely (and by the way smokers/drinkers are the people who pay the most taxes - so when we have rid our island of those miscreants - what are we going to tax next to keep up with the 'overspend'????)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum