www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New minimum wage law introduced

2 posters

Go down

New minimum wage law introduced Empty New minimum wage law introduced

Post by Dell Sat 02 Oct 2010, 7:36 am

All Guernsey employees aged 19 years or older are to be paid an hourly rate of £6, as the island's new minimum wage law came into effect on Friday.

The new legislation also means those aged 16-18 must not be paid less than £4.25 an per hour. However, reductions to both rates are possible where accommodation and food are provided by the employer.

Under the law all workers, including part timers, have to be given written terms and conditions of service.

From BBC News.

About time, long overdue IMO.

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

New minimum wage law introduced Empty Re: New minimum wage law introduced

Post by karma Sat 02 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

Maybe I have missed the point! But how on earth can anybody afford to live on this island with 'breadline' minimum wage? and how many of our politicians would get out of bed (or attend meetings) for the princely sum of £6.50??? Not many I suspect!!!) that works out £260 for a 40 hour week - I suggest that the powers that be look in the GEP and see what exactly landlords are asking for rental of bedsits etc!!! and they all want a month in advance and a deposit - so the only people who are going to benefit are 'guest workers' who will no doubt we relieved of £80 towards their board (there was a lady interviewed on the radio the other morning explaining that she had been turned down for a job because of being local and not 'needing' accommodation....how long before we see jobs advertised with the words 'only non-locals need apply'?????

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down