www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts

2 posters

Go down

'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts Empty 'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts

Post by GD Wed 20 Oct 2010, 6:49 pm

Guernsey's bailiff has said he is saddened by the possible loss of the 201 (Guernsey's Own) Squadron.
The squadron is based at RAF Kinloss, which is due to close, and was due to fly the cancelled new Nimrod MRA4.
Sir Geoffrey Rowland said: "Our dismay simply cannot compare with the consequences which will ensue over the coming months in Kinloss."
The link between the island and squadron is one of the oldest of its kind dating back to 1939.
It means the squadron members wear a Guernsey flag on their flight suits and regularly attend events in the island, as well as supporting local charities and organisations.

The link has also seen a number of flypasts by Nimrods including one of a MRA4, which were due to enter service in 2012, in the Guernsey Battle of Britain Air Display in September.
Mike Seward, a Guernsey resident, former 201 Squadron Nimrod pilot and member of the squadron's association, said scrapping the base would leave a gap in the nation's long-term defence capability and he feared it was the end for the squadron.
He said: "I don't see a way forward in the short term, you've taken away their primary role, some of the roles the Nimrod MRA4 was due to do have been taken by other squadrons, I see no option but for the squadron to actually close."'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts _49581164_dsc_0802 Mr Seward said he could see no option but for the squadron to close

Sir Geoffrey said: "Islanders will be devastated by the decision to terminate production of the new Nimrod and thus leave Guernsey's Own without any aircraft.
"Our thoughts are very much with the members of the squadron and their families.
"The strength of the relationship between Guernsey and the squadron can be gauged from the fact that the Commanding Officer of 201 Squadron spoke personally with me to convey the sad news within an hour of being advised of the outcome of the long-awaited defence review."
He said: "It is fitting to express gratitude for all the work that 201 has done for our community over the years."
"If there is any room for optimism than we must hope that Guernsey's Own will survive in some form. However, that will be of little comfort in and around Kinloss."
The cancellation of the Nimrod MRA 4 and the removal of RAF personnel from Kinloss were part of a raft of measures as the UK Government announced 8% would be cut from the £46.1bn defence budget over a four year period.
A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said the future of individual RAF units, such as 201 squadron, was "yet to be decided and a decision would be made in the coming weeks". (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts Empty Re: 'Dismay' over 201 Guernsey's Own Squadron defence cuts

Post by karma Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:30 am

I do hope it's not a repeat of the MaggieTthatcher years - my brother was a Wing Commander in the RAF with 5 more years of service when he and a lot of other servicemen were asked to take early retirement in exchange for an upgrade in their title (for pension reasons) and a golden handshake....he said yes and a month later was asked to be a 'Consultant' in his field at twice the salary he was getting as a regular ....... I wonder how much it will cost to pay all these people off!!! Wouldn't it be better to 'prune' the top brass and leave the guys who do the jobs to get on with it????? just a thought ........

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum