www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Eistedfod starts on Monday

Go down

Jersey Eistedfod starts on Monday  Empty Jersey Eistedfod starts on Monday

Post by GD Wed 27 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

The art and culture festival the Jersey Eisteddfod is back for 2011.
It starts on Monday 3 November and features music, dance, drama and language classes.
The Jersey Eisteddfod was founded in 1908 by a former Dean of Jersey who saw the competitive classes as a means of improving standards.
The Dean hoped to improve standards of speech, presentation, and musical standards in his fellow islanders and it has been doing that ever since.
Michael Blackie is the chairman of the Eisteddfod Executive Council and told BBC Jersey there was a new class for 2011.
This year sees a brand new class called the signing choir which is for deaf people. It involves using sign language to a backing tape.
Mr Blackie said: "We've got a brand new class which is the I think the first in any festival, which is a signing choir.
"We were asked last year if we would do it by a lady here for the Jersey society for death children and young adults, Vivienne Armstrong.
"Being death doesn't mean you can't appreciate music."
Mr Blackie said the signing choir will be judged by their ability to sign the music.
He said: "They are judged, as I understand it, by the ability with which they actually sign the music.
"It sounds very complicated, I haven't seen it before, so will certainly go along and see it." (from BBC
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum