www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment

+3
kingcolemk
kat
GD
7 posters

Go down

Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment Empty Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment

Post by GD Sat 20 Nov 2010, 2:47 pm

Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment _50078351_50078350
The report said detainees should be told struggling against handcuffs could cause then to tighten

Some failings in the way Guernsey treats its prisoners have been published by the Council of Europe.
The report followed an assessment of practices according to the European Convention for the Prevention of Torture.
It highlighted "a few" allegations of excessive use of force and a failure to ensure detained 17-year-olds were treated as juveniles.
The report's recommendations were described by the States as "minor".
The assessment was carried out in March during a visit to the Bailiwick by a committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT).
The five-person delegation was headed by Wolfgang Heinz from the CPT and included a psychiatric expert from Finland and the director of a Belgian prison.
The team inspected police headquarters in St Peter Port, the customs and immigration detention facility at White Rock, Les Nicolles Prison, Perruque House secure unit for children and the Albecq acute psychiatric ward in Castel Hospital.
The report said the team "enjoyed excellent co-operation" and had unlimited access to places, people and information.Disciplinary procedures
However, in its recommendations, it said appropriate steps must be taken to ensure handcuffs were applied correctly and where ratchet handcuffs were used, detainees were told that struggling might cause them to tighten.
It also said police officers should be reminded that no more force than strictly necessary should be used during an arrest and once detainees were brought under control, there was never any justification for striking them.
The report also asked for the outcome of any disciplinary procedures on a prison officer at Les Nicolles who was suspended after allegedly closing a cell door on an inmate's hand.
Other points highlighted included:

• Two of the seven police cells should only be used as temporary holding places for no more than a few hours.
  • Juveniles should be held in specially designed detention centres at Guernsey's prison.
  • Prisoners suffering from a mental health disorder should be cared for in an adequately equipped hospital environment.

In a statement, the Policy Council said Guernsey was proud of its standards of treatment of detainees and the secure, decent and healthy environment in which this occurred.
It welcomed the CPT report which had made a number of positive comments.
Some minor recommendations have been given "serious consideration", the statement added.
PDF download Council of Europe report[221KB (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment Empty Re: Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment

Post by kat Sat 20 Nov 2010, 3:47 pm

I know these are trouble makers but the way they get bundled into a van with their hand behind their backs then driven off it asking to someone to be injured badly as they cannot protect themselves from being throw all around the police van . they could strap them in this would save them from injury and save us from having to pay out in compensations .
And having to pay for any hospital bills that come from this
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment Empty Re: Failings highlighted in Guernsey detainees treatment

Post by kingcolemk Sat 20 Nov 2010, 4:05 pm

Ah the poor little darlings, are they being nasty to you ? Oh what a shame !

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 20 Nov 2010, 5:31 pm

sarcasm is the lowest form of whit
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 20 Nov 2010, 6:45 pm

And Yobbism is the lowest form of life.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:39 pm

That may be but two wrong certainly dont make a right.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sat 20 Nov 2010, 8:13 pm

but three lefts do.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 20 Nov 2010, 9:09 pm

lol
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 21 Nov 2010, 8:46 am

if these little darlings will insist on being yobs,beating people up,or whatever other crime they have committed they deserve to be treated with the utmost contempt. imo they are treated too softly.as for a seperate detention centre how much is that going to cost the taxpayer of guernsey just to keep these little yobs in luxury x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 21 Nov 2010, 9:17 am

Not all of the ones they arrest are yobs ..that is the point i have know some who were just in the area being put into the van and taken away .only to be released later with out charge ,it is this i am talking about .make sure they are in safe before you drive off .as being thrown around the back of a police van with your hands behind your back can cause terrible injury to those who are innocent .
And yes there are many who are yobs and cause untold damage in our town .
but wait until they are charged and then give them the punishment .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 21 Nov 2010, 3:37 pm

i see your point now kat x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 21 Nov 2010, 5:03 pm

Kat you are for too nice and kind a person for the islands good. This rabble take advantage of people like you.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 21 Nov 2010, 10:32 pm

I do believe in fair play for all
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Mon 22 Nov 2010, 9:29 am

kat wrote:I do believe in fair play for all

Maybe you do, but these people don't.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay Mon 22 Nov 2010, 10:49 am

It would be interesting to see a report by these European 'experts' on a prison in, say, Turkey. Also, whether the authorities there take any notice and follow up on recommendations.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 22 Nov 2010, 7:21 pm

Kat, If someone has their hands cuffed behind their back it is for a reason, normally violence related. People quite often get into the back of the van uncuffed. I doubt that someone with hands cuffed behind their back will be wlking away later "innocent" not proven perhaps but innocent I doubt it.

As to cost of facilities at a prison remember the penalty for the crime is detention, the circumstances in which they are kept is not part of the penalty so we have a duty to keep them safe in at least a minimum amount of comfort.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down