www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Till receipt scam

5 posters

Go down

Till receipt scam Empty Till receipt scam

Post by trucker Wed 08 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

Anyone come across this scam.
Shows you should always check your receipt

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT
Yet another Scam has come to our notice. Especially at this time of year, when we are all so busy and spending more at the shops than normal, it is vital that you chaeck your till receipt before leaving the store checkout.
Here's the Scam:

'I bought a bunch of stuff, over £ 150, at a large supermarket & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £ 40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £ 40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the £ 40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £ 20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £ 40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Another woman went to her supermarket. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £ 20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

This woman rang the Supermarket and reported it. They investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
This is NOT limited to just one store.

I wonder how many "seniors" and others have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES
trucker
trucker

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : Retired road and buiding site worker
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Till receipt scam Empty Re: Till receipt scam

Post by Shaun The Sheep Wed 08 Dec 2010, 2:48 pm

Thanks, great bit of advice
Shaun The Sheep
Shaun The Sheep

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 08 Dec 2010, 5:38 pm

Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 08 Dec 2010, 5:47 pm

Good update Spirit.

Don't believe everything that you read!!!!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by trucker Wed 08 Dec 2010, 6:10 pm

thanks have passed the link on to the local site.
i did wonder about it so now i know
trucker
trucker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 08 Dec 2010, 6:17 pm

Thanks for raising the potential issue Trucker.

It is always sensible to check till receipts anyway, but most of us are in such a rush that we probably don't... so lesson to be learned here!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by trucker Fri 24 Dec 2010, 2:58 pm

Shoppers Discounts and Rewards

A warning to everybody who shops online. Check your bank and credit card statements for unauthorised deductions being made from your account by a company called Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. It may just appear on your account as Shoppers Rewards, or it may appear as "Shopper Discounts, shopdisc.co.uk, shopperdisc.co.uk, shopperdiscounts.co.uk or something very similar to this". The story behind this is:
I shopped online with JD Williams about 3 weeks ago and whilst completing this, an advert appeared offering 15% discount on my shopping. Assuming this was for JD Williams, and always being interested in a discount, I filled in the required details and thought no more of it, other than wonder when I would get the extra discount as it wasn't included on my account.
When I checked my credit card statement yesterday I found that £10 had been deducted from my credit card by a company called Shoppers Rewards.
Now, I have had a couple of emails from them, but just binned them as junk but, on Googling their name last night, I found a very active forum on Martin Lewis' Moneysaving Expert website from people who have been caught out the same way. This has been going on since early 2008 and people are getting caught when shopping on all sorts of sites from Easyjet to perfume sites and all were caught the same way I was, by completing an extra discount offer.
I sent Shoppers Discounts and Rewards an email last night asking for a refund within 14 days or I would complain to Trading Standards and I have received a reply at 0817 this morning cancelling my "membership" and advising the refund will be paid into my account. So that at least is good news.
Like most people, I would not knowingly have signed up to this, and it would appear that you don't even receive the discounts automatically, you have to claim them. I think it is wrong, and frightening, that this company can hoodwink people so easily and take money from our accounts without our knowing it even though they seem to be repaying immediately when challenged.
I have found a webpage from this company saying that if you have found deductions on your statements that you, or someone authorised to use your card, has joined the programme whilst shopping online and that is probably right. However, the fact is that people do not know they are signing up to this and nowhere does it say they will be charged a monthly fee for the privilege.
If you have been caught by this company, email them immediately and tell them you did not knowingly sign up to this scheme and would not have if you had been aware that money would be taken out of your account every month.
Caroline, Administrator - 23/12/2010
Found this on the same local site got some good help on here last time. What are the veiws on this.
trucker
trucker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Fri 24 Dec 2010, 5:51 pm

Caveat Emptor!
bug1
bug1