www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported

4 posters

Go down

Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported Empty Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported

Post by GD Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Jersey politicians have unanimously agreed that prisoners can be sent back to their home countries to serve their prison sentences.

It means people from outside the island can serve their sentence from the Jersey courts in their own country.

People from Jersey who are jailed outside the island will also be able to serve the sentence in the island.

The Home Affairs Minister said he hoped the law change would reduce the number of people in La Moye prison.

Senator Ian Le Marquand said: "The aim is to change the system so we then move to unrestricted transfers, and that will then produce a secondary benefit in terms of a reduction in the prison population."

There is currently no law governing the sending back of prisoners from places outside the UK.

Under this new law, the Home Affairs Minister would issue a warrant for a transfer.

The prisoner would have to be told in their own language and the effect of the warrant on the prisoner would have to be considered.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported Empty Re: Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported

Post by bug1 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

I hope Guernsey will follow suit but with our "wishy-washy" lot it will take 20 yrs!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported Empty Re: Prisoners sentenced in Jersey to be deported

Post by Thistle Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:27 pm

we used to be able to deport people in the distant past..bring it back and save the states some money x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

I agree send them home!
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum