www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker'

+4
kiwis kitten
Dell
kat
GD
8 posters

Go down

Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker' Empty Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker'

Post by GD Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

Maybe it's time for Facebook to finally roll out that "dislike" button.

Facebook is getting an earful about [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] right before its annual developers conference Thursday.

Of course, anytime the social networking site makes changes, users revolt at audible levels. Facebook is the world's most popular social networking service with more than 750 million users, so even a small protest can stir up the Web.

The loudest protest came in 2006 with the launch of News Feed, which turned into one of the site's most popular features.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Now users are taking to their News Feeds to protest the overhaul of the News Feed.

And they are complaining in comments to the official Facebook [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] announcing the changes that were supposed to help users by surfacing the most important information about their friends instead of just the most recent.

The main complaint: An algorithm that spits out your "Top Stories" by crunching factors such as which friends you interact with most and which of your friends' posts get the most comments or "likes" isn't working.

Wrote Amanda Stein: "To put it simply, I hate the new format. And I've been sending in feedback saying so since I first became an unwilling beta tester for it. It's awful. I do not want Facebook telling me what stories are important. Nearly every story so far that has been marked as a Top Story hasn't been important at all. One of my friends liking another friend's FarmVille post is not important. Another friend changing her profile picture is not important. You are acting like you've improved the functionality of Facebook but you've done the opposite."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Another point of contention: Facebook's new "ticker" which streams your friends' activity in real time. (Think Twitter).

Some users complain that it's a distraction; others are calling on Facebook to dump it. CNet is offering some [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on how to turn it off.

One [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] some are raising: That the ticker can give you access to the private posts of people you are not friends with -- if a friend of yours likes a post or comments on it.

If this brouhaha follows the usual course, users will complain, threaten to leave and then learn to love -- or at least live with -- the changes.

The catch? There really wasn't anywhere else for people to go. Now there's a new social networking service in town: Google+ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Tuesday.

Google drew a giant blue arrow on its home page Tuesday to direct people to sign up for Google+. It is using that valuable space again on Wednesday to promote a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]with will.i.am at 6 pm.

How do you feel about the changes to News Feed and the new "ticker"? Let us know in the comments (from techtimes)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker' Empty Re: Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker'

Post by kat Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:19 am

They have overstep the mark this time.but i will keep plodding along until someone gives me another book to use ..but i hate it as i have missed too much gossip no sorry information on it
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker' Empty Re: Facebook users protest changes to News Feed, new 'ticker'

Post by Dell Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:38 am

Not impressed.... but as with all change will probably get used to it in time!!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:20 am

Don't like it either...but will keep plodding too....and yeah..i am sure we will get used to it..... Wink
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:19 pm

hateit why cant fb leave things alone ....x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:06 am

At the moment I can't even invite friends and some of them are really close friends!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

To get rid of chat on facebook .

If you are using Firefox as your web broswer you have to go into tools go to addons search add block (ABP) download it restart FF you will see a little red symbol with ABP in it right click it , choose preferences , then choose add filter then in the blank window type the following facebook.com#div(id*=presence) press ok

when you go back into facebook you may have to select unable to chat just once then ABP will block the chat box , you can still get into it from the left hand side of the page .
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischas Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

This report is in our local paper today. Apparantly Face Book does'nt stop tracking your movements when you log out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mischas

Female
Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

its so much hasslehaving to add everybody into groups to see what people are posting x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum