www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey census: Overcrowding 'higher' than thought

Go down

Jersey census: Overcrowding 'higher' than thought Empty Jersey census: Overcrowding 'higher' than thought

Post by GD Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:11 pm

More than one in 20 people in Jersey live in overcrowded accommodation, according to the census.

There are 41,595 private dwellings in Jersey and the total number of bedrooms was more than the island's population.

But using the Bedroom Standard, a nationally-recognised measure of overcrowding, around 2,000 homes have fewer bedrooms than needed.

The census showed one in six unqualified households were classified as overcrowded.

The Bedroom Standard was introduced in the UK in 2003 and defines the number of bedrooms needed by a household.

It states a separate bedroom is needed for each married or cohabiting couple, any adults over 21, and that people aged 10-20 should not have to share with a member of the opposite sex.

No quick fix

Deputy Andrew Green, Jersey's Housing Minister, said: "I would be lying if I said I can change it (overcrowding) soon, but it is something I'm aware of.

"I'm concerned about it because it's higher than I ever thought it would be and I will be working on it but it's not going to be a quick fix."

The 2011 census found 97,857 people were living in the island in March, an increase of 10% since the last census 10 years ago.

The census also found 7%, or 3,100 homes in Jersey, were unoccupied on census day but 42% of people who own their own homes in Jersey have at least two bedrooms more than they needed.

It also said the number of people living in flats was growing.

There was also a slight increase in how many islanders own their homes, up to 54%.

And 14% of people lived in housing trust or parish rental accommodation.

In Jersey, people who were not born in the island are known as unqualified until they have lived in Jersey for 10 years and gain their housing qualifications.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down