www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits

5 posters

Go down

Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits Empty Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits

Post by GD Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

Up to £20m needs to be found to provide help to islanders not already receiving benefits from the States, the Social Security Department has suggested.

If approved in March the island's benefit system would, for the first time, provide assistance to those living in private rental accommodation.

Deputy Minister Andrew Le Lievre said the benefit system had to change so it was fair for everyone.

He said there was a huge gap between rich and poor in the island.

Deputy Le Lievre said: "There is a huge difference between the upper echelons of financial status in Guernsey and the lower echelons.

"In unequal societies you suffer levels of deprivation, an us and them society, which is not healthy, it's not good for society to have massive levels of difference.

"All we're talking about is raising the level of benefit and assistance to something akin to that which is already enjoyed by people living in social housing."

The department has also asked for permission to change the supplementary benefit legislation as the current system is "based on 40-year-old legislation and a structure which is nearly 60 years old".

It said a change would also allow the department to define when a person is capable of work on a full or part-time basis.
(from BBC)

So where is the money coming from?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits Empty Re: Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits

Post by kingcolemk Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm

Did I see someone mention that there was an election coming ? Wink

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits Empty Re: Guernsey States asked to agree extra £20m for benefits

Post by Thistle Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Benefits Shake Up Announced

Benefit rates will go up - but more islanders will be forced to find work instead of claiming.

That's the plan as the first overhaul of Guernsey's benefit system in
decades is revealed.

Supplementary benefit and rent rebates could be merged while it's
suggested payments to most 16 and 17 year olds are stopped. Single
parents could be told to find jobs when their children reach 7 and able
bodied partners of islanders on benefits made to support themselves.

Social Security believe this will encourage more islanders to seek
fulfilling employment. But payments to remaining claimants are likely to
go up meaning the overall benefit bill will increase.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:58 pm

maybe the uk should follow this shake up kingcole..of course the tories wouldnt think of it lol x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:41 pm

We are trying to target benifits to people who genuinely need them at rates which are fairer to the working people who's taxes pay for them.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

thats what is going to happen here or did you not read my last post
what your government needs to sort out is all the illegal immigrants that are claiming benefits and political asylum....so £26,000 a year is fair is it...
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 28 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

Thistle wrote:thats what is going to happen here or did you not read my last post
what your government needs to sort out is all the illegal immigrants that are claiming benefits and political asylum....so £26,000 a year is fair is it...

Damn right we do, and not just the illegal ones. If you're not doing any work for it 26K tax free is more than fair, equivilent of a 35K salary for a working man.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

yes it is more than fair but there are people over there living in mansions paid for by the council..it seems housing is given to all and sundry over there .
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 28 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Very true, which is why the Government propose to put a £800/week cap on subsidised rent benifits. Far too high in my opinion, should be per month, but at least it's a move in the right direction.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 28 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

the system is crooked , the man who broungt this paper to the states is a partner in a lot of housing he has a company that rents out to the private sector this way he and the company is sure of its rents
how much will they be putting their rents up to
i will be keeping an eye on the situation .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 28 Jan 2012, 7:51 pm

i think a lot of people are in for a shock in housing dept properties kat...this imo is going to be worse than charging for every working / on benefits person in your household..something STAG should have been involved in..i will also be watching with interest x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

Yes i am very disappointed they have not come out of the woodwork
i sent someone to them and they did not want to help
makes me wonder why we took years to get this group recognised for it to just disappear they will be needed now.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:05 am

Thistle / Kat,

Would one of you please explain what STAG is for the benefit of members following the thread? Thanks
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

Was States Tenants action group ... now it is States tenants advisery group.
This group was set up in 2003 to help tenants , they were there to act between the tenants and the housing
the housing recognised the group and it was also taken before the states to ratify the mandate .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:29 am

Thanks Dell, I was wondering. Now it has been explained I think that you should take Dave Jones to task if you think it is not functioning properly anymore.

I don't think he reads this forum any more so you need to contact him with it.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

It is the group that should sort it not housing ,The housing were very supportive when i was in it .
And we agreed that any papers that were going before the states would go to the group first for their views .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:58 am

kat wrote:Was States Tenants action group ... now it is States tenants advisery group.
This group was set up in 2003 to help tenants , they were there to act between the tenants and the housing
the housing recognised the group and it was also taken before the states to ratify the mandate .

Thanks Kat thumpup
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

it has nothing to do with dave jones...the chairperson has decided it isnt worth doing ..tenants do need a group to fight and explain decisions to them..i was the chair until i was taken ill five years ago.kat was chair before that and things ran well other than a few arguements..like kat i am sad that the group is no longer functioning..
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:39 pm

maybe its time for it to be started up again properly as there are things happening now that in all probability wont be good for some tenants x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:30 pm

Thistle wrote:it has nothing to do with dave jones...the chairperson has decided it isnt worth doing ..tenants do need a group to fight and explain decisions to them..i was the chair until i was taken ill five years ago.kat was chair before that and things ran well other than a few arguements..like kat i am sad that the group is no longer functioning..

Is it not down to the Housing Minister to make sure there is a some kind of conduit for feedback from tenents ? There must be some sort of system in place surely.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

Yes there is the STAG group . housing must think all is ok
i have asked states members to look into this before .
this was when the green paper came out ,but not heard anything since
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

So the ball is in Dave Jone's court then.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

i dont think housing have been informed that STAG is no longer functioning. no the ball is not in dave jonses court...it is down to the chair to inform housing so the ball is in his court.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:52 am

I agree with Thistle .as far as housing know it is still running and all tenants are happy
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:58 am

thank you kat...
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum