www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn

Go down

QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn Empty QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn

Post by GD Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

Manifesto to follow...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn Empty Re: QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn

Post by GD Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

QUERIPEL; Laurie Bryn Laurie-Queripel-139x300Im 51 and have been self employed for 25 years. Vale Douzenier since 2009. 2ndyear as a Parish Constable. As a parish official I believe I have been pro-active, accessible and approachable. With the Douzaines approval I initiated and administer the parish allotment scheme. I also proposed the extending of the recycling facilities at the Douzaine Room, also approved by the Douzaine. Since the 2008 election I have attended many workshops and presentations addressing economic, constitutional and environmental matters. I am eager to make a constructive and positive contribution to Guernsey politics and be of service to the islands community.

A States members efforts should be targeted at the ultimate aim of government – to create and implement policies and initiatives that ensure the social, economic and environmental well being of the community. I believe in the principle of corporate governance but this term can be so easily hijacked and used as a flag of convenience to advance political agendas and careers – this must be guarded against. The true measure of a politician is the quality and value of service that he or she provides to the community as an individual and a member of the administration, not personal advancement.

POLITICAL REFORM – I favour, in principle, our consensus system of government. However there are shortcomings as lines of accountability are not always clear – ownership of proposals and responsibility for outcomes can be sidestepped. If we are to have true political accountability and transparency some reform is required. The number of deputies could be reduced by one per district whilst still retaining a democratic balance within the Assembly. Sufficient numbers would remain to form, where and when necessary, an effective opposition to Departmental proposals. Legislation to enable referendum and a Freedom of Information Act are essential.

PLANNING/LAND USE – A more pragmatic approach is required in regard to planning and land use. Some control is necessary to ensure development is appropriate and proportionate but good policy should also take into account and where possible, facilitate the needs of the community both domestically and commercially. Insufficient headway has been made in providing premises for light industry and small businesses, consequently employment opportunities and the provision of valuable services have been lost to the island. If we are to widen the skills base, add diversity to the economy and achieve greater sustainability, this issue must be addressed.

POPULATION – A 2007 States Resolution stating that the islands population should not be substantially increased has been largely ignored. The Population Policy Groups current proposals will do nothing to address this, consequently the population could rise to 80,000 or more. This is not sustainable and these proposals must be amended when they come back to the States so that they include an element of management and control. If the objectives of the States Strategic Plan in regard to islanders quality of life are to be realised then the rights of locals must be considered equally alongside those of non locals.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down