www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy

3 posters

Go down

Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy Empty Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy

Post by GD Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

Minimum pricing on alcohol could be considered in Jersey.

Chief Minister Senator Ian Gorst said the States could consider it if it works in the UK.

His comments come after the UK Government proposed a minimum price of 40p per unit of alcohol in England and Wales on Friday.

The government believes the new strategy could transform the behaviour of those who cause the most problems for hospitals and police.

Senator Gorst said it was something Jersey's health department were looking at.

He said: "We do know that unfortunately alcohol and alcohol addiction is a problem within certain areas of our community.

"As a community as a whole perhaps our alcohol consumption is higher than some other communities."

But Mark Crowther, chief executive officer of the Liberation Group, one of the pubs, drinks and brewing businesses in Jersey, said setting prices should not be up to politicians.

He said: "The government's role really should be about educating sensible drinking just as we do as a business.

"I'm slightly reticent about governments getting involved in and telling businesses how much they should be charging for their products.

"Whilst I know that the UK Government has announced a consultation about potentially introducing a 40p per unit minimum price, actually when you work through the numbers that would make absolutely no difference."
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy Empty Re: Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy

Post by karma Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:34 pm

So one size fits all - what about the responsible drinkers! they get hit in the pocket for the sake of the irresponsible few!!! Over here in Victoria they have overtaxed and overpriced so much that the GST has dropped by billions as people refuse to pay up the extra leaving a huge deficit in the budget! (did I read that Jersey has a similar problem)? So now they have to think of some thing else to tax to make up the down trend......when will governments realise that the quite significant number of 'grey' consumers will just stop spending....they have been through a couple of wars and if they cannot afford, they will not buy!!!! So the danger of out pricing almost everything is quite real........creating more job losses and closures!! The powers that be should be encouraging people to spend, not making them scared to put their hands in their pockets!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy Empty Re: Jersey considers minimum alcohol pricing strategy

Post by Thistle Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

sadly this is a load of crap..if people want to drink they will no matter what it costs x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm

That's why the one size fits all doesn't work - but I still think the losers will be the 'happy drinkers' who are responsible :-((((((

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down