www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom of information act.

3 posters

Go down

Freedom of information act. Empty Freedom of information act.

Post by Digger Sat 08 Mar 2008, 12:58 pm

There has been concerns raised regarding the freedom of information act . Do we need it or can we live without it ?. Your thoughts.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Freedom of information act. Empty Re: Freedom of information act.

Post by Jon Le Tocq Tue 11 Mar 2008, 10:53 pm

I think I'm free to inform you that such an act in a small jurisdiction like Guernsey, whilst desirable in principle, would be expensive to administer as it would require the employment of at least one independent lawyer to advise and potentially decide whether it was in the public interest for any given piece of information to be released at a given time. [e.g. where this operates elsewhere it is not the case that everything is automatically available immediately, as this could effect litigation procedures, arbitrations, tenders, negotiated contracts and put taxpayers' money at increased risk, for example where directors or shareholders who are members of the public discovered what the government's policy was going to be on a particular issue]

The cost of running such legal advice and a quasi-judicial, independent process can be spread in a large jurisdiction, whereas here it would be very expensive. Notwithstanding this it may be a price the taxpayer considers worth paying, as has been the case elsewhere although it will, in a small place, always be open to accusation of bias eventually, and truly "independent" legal advisors are also hard to find and justify.

Jon Le Tocq

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Wed 12 Mar 2008, 9:48 pm

I dont see that the size of a place makes it more expensive, obviously a larger population would have more people requesting information, also I think guidlines would be in place that would mean certain docs were not available while a tender deadline has not passed or a court case is still on etc.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down