www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide

3 posters

Go down

Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide Empty Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide

Post by GD Wed 23 May 2012, 6:03 pm

The closure of a public toilet in Guernsey has been described as "bad for tourists" by a local tour guide.

The toilet at Saints Bay has been closed, along with the cafe at the South Coast site, with the owner citing financial reasons.

Dudley Jehan said: "We have no monies whatsoever to maintain the building."

Sylvia Brouard, a tour guide, said "It's another nail in the coffin for tourism... I think it's just really bad for tourists."

She added: "It's not giving Guernsey a good name, is it?

"The next toilet is at least half an hour, three quarters of an hour [on foot]."

'Very regrettable'

The land the cafe and toilets stand on is owned by the Fief Blanchelande, which is in turn run by Mr Jehan.

He said: "It is very regrettable that these facilities have had to close."

He added: "50 years ago the States of Guernsey built this facility on fief land at a time when Saints Bay was a very busy bay... the bay has fallen out of favour."

Mr Jehan, who is the Seneschal of the Fief Blanchelande, said: "Fief Blanchelande operates as a charity, the very small income we have is used for the needy and the elderly who live on the fief."

He said the facility at Saints Bay was not profitable, and would take too much money away from the fief's funds.

Mr Jehan said the closure of the cafe and toilets is likely to be permanent, but that it may be reviewed in future.

Guernsey has a number of fiefs, which are ancient feudal districts associated with parcels of land around the island.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide Empty Re: Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide

Post by kat Wed 23 May 2012, 9:14 pm

It is disgusting these public services have been cut . they have a prison full of folks who can work for nothing cleaning them make them earn their keep.
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide Empty Re: Guernsey toilet closure 'bad for tourists', says guide

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 23 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Why should the Fief maintain a public toliet? Surely if it benefits the public it should be state funded.

I think the "another nail for tourism" is a bit over the top.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Thu 24 May 2012, 8:51 am

I agree . the state should fund it .perhaps time has come to pay as you pee.
i pay for a key to a loo for the disabled 6 pounds it costs .that is 600 pee's lol
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum