www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel

+3
plimmerton811
kingcolemk
GD
7 posters

Go down

Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel  Empty Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel

Post by GD Mon 28 May 2012, 6:25 pm

Three deputies for Guernsey's Castel parish have welcomed plans to demolish a disused hotel on its west coast.

Carterets Developments Limited has applied to erect a block of 12 three-storey apartments on the site of the former Hotel des Carterets at Cobo.

Deputy Sandra James said: "It's been an absolute eyesore at Cobo for too long."

Deputies Jonathan Le Tocq and Hunter Adam said they were happy to see the hotel building go, although the former expressed caution about the new build.

Referring to the size of the proposed development, Deputy Le Tocq said: "It's not ideal but it is better than what we've got.

"We can't leave eyesores like that undeveloped just because we don't like what developers might like to be doing there," he said.

Deputy Adam said the site needed redevelopment.

"The hotel needs knocking down. I agree with that completely," he said.

The spokesman appointed by the developers was unavailable for comment.

Planners at the Environment Department will vote on the proposals at an open meeting.

However a spokesperson for the department was unable to identify the date on which that meeting would take place.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel  Empty Re: Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel

Post by kingcolemk Mon 28 May 2012, 7:24 pm

GD wrote:Three deputies for Guernsey's Castel parish have welcomed plans to demolish a disused hotel on its west coast.

Carterets Developments Limited has applied to erect a block of 12 three-storey apartments on the site of the former Hotel des Carterets at Cobo.

Deputies Jonathan Le Tocq and Hunter Adam said they were happy to see the hotel building go, although the former expressed caution about the new build.

Referring to the size of the proposed development, Deputy Le Tocq said: "It's not ideal but it is better than what we've got.

"We can't leave eyesores like that undeveloped just because we don't like what developers might like to be doing there," he said.

Planners at the Environment Department will vote on the proposals at an open meeting.

However a spokesperson for the department was unable to identify the date on which that meeting would take place.
(from BBC)

Oh no ? What about the Idle Rocks ? That is a real eye sore, right next to a tourist spot.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel  Empty Re: Guernsey deputies support removal of 'eyesore' hotel

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 28 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Could 12 three storey apartments be the reason it has been left to be an eyesore. The comment about it is not ideal but it is better than what we have got says it all for me. Leave it be then when it falls down get the owners to remove it and develop something suitable on site. Twelve three storey apartments is a money spinner for the developers and will look out of place on the sea front. Get them to put in some decent looking houses instead.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 28 May 2012, 11:00 pm

If they don't like eyesores - they could start in Town (the place that most visitors get to see) before I left I could not go up Fountain Street to the Bordage because going through the slum area was really depressing)!! it showed up the true state of Guernsey's 'Jewel in the Crown' and NOT in a good light!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Tue 29 May 2012, 12:12 am

How about getting rid of the eye sore that was built when tudor house was knocked down.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 29 May 2012, 12:17 am

That's all part of the slum areas I was talking about the whole street is a disgrace and it is one of the main ways out of town!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 29 May 2012, 8:52 am

'Site of the former Hotel des Carterets' , where's that ?, I've not noticed any particular eyesores in Cobo.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 29 May 2012, 12:14 pm

Mandarin Garden Chinese restaurant.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 29 May 2012, 1:41 pm

Eh ! How is that an eyesore ? Do these three deputies have an some kind of agenda re this site ?

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 29 May 2012, 6:31 pm

kingcolemk wrote:
GD wrote:Three deputies for Guernsey's Castel parish have welcomed plans to demolish a disused hotel on its west coast.

(from BBC)

Oh no ? What about the Idle Rocks ? That is a real eye sore, right next to a tourist spot.

i totally agree about the idlerocks..it has been standing empty for about 10 years now..i believe it has changed owners several times in ten years..my guess is it will never be a hotel again as the owners wont do anything about it if they dont get permission for expensive apartments to be built there x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum