www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances

4 posters

Go down

Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances Empty Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances

Post by GD Wed 30 May 2012, 6:31 pm

Duty free shops have been told to remind their customers about the amount of cigarettes and alcohol they can bring into Jersey.

Customs Officers said they had seen an increase in the number of people coming into the island who had exceeded their duty allowance.

The States said Duty Free shops had been aggressively promoting packs of 400 or even 1,000 cigarettes.

The personal allowance for bringing cigarettes into the island is 200.

Some shops have taken action, but others have not, according to the Home Affairs Department.

Jersey Customs Officers warned people they would be charged the duty on all cigarettes brought into the island over the customs allowances.

Officers said people were buying large packs of tax-free cigarettes without knowing they had to pay duty on them.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances Empty Re: Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances

Post by Shaun The Sheep Thu 31 May 2012, 12:16 am

Name and Shame.

May also be "entrapment"???
Shaun The Sheep
Shaun The Sheep

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances Empty Re: Duty free shops warned over Jersey allowances

Post by karma Thu 31 May 2012, 1:28 am

Leave it as it is - nice little earner for a cash strapped States of Jersey!!!!
........and of course it will really endear Jersey to first time visitors and really encourage them to return (once they've paid off their fine!!)

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 31 May 2012, 8:00 am

you cant buy duty free ciggies in UK airports anymore ..they sell at tax free prices which is much more than duty free ..i had a row
at Manchester airport last year and couldn't get them to see that duty free and tax free are two different entities...
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 31 May 2012, 8:08 am

You should be able to as long as you are not coming from/going to a EU country - The Tax - Free ones are for ppl from/to the European Unity

http://www.worlddutyfree.com/information/tax-and-duty-free-shopping.html

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 31 May 2012, 2:23 pm

the staff had everything marked at tax free prices and told me that was the only price they had x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 31 May 2012, 3:21 pm

The Tax Free shop you go through when disembarking is not the Duty Free Shop - it is for ppl traveling between EU countries (or those who are excluded from purchasing in Duty Free Shops) - the Duty Free shops are in the main Departure Lounge.....same as they always were...... next time bypass the Tax Free and go on to the Duty Free - you are allowed traveling to the Channel Islands :-)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:01 am

that was where i was karma after i had gone through departures.will see what happens this time x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

Got to get them in the Main Departure building, before you go through to the Departure Gate - good luck next time xoxoxoxoxo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum