www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey States disability champion elected

+3
Thistle
kingcolemk
Dell
7 posters

Go down

Guernsey States disability champion elected Empty Guernsey States disability champion elected

Post by Dell Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

Deputy John Gollop has been elected as the disability champion for the States of Guernsey.

The job involves liaising with the island's government about issues affecting disabled islanders.

Deputy Gollop secured 259 votes, ahead of Arrun Wilkie with 131 and Lester Queripel with 43 in a postal vote to decide the voluntary position.

He takes over the role from former politician Jane Stephens, who lost her seat in April's general election.

A total of 609 of those eligible to vote registered ahead of the election, held on 1 June, with 435 or 71.4% casting their vote, with two spoilt papers.

Those eligible to vote were disabled islanders, their close family members, carers, staff and volunteers of disability charities and health and social care professionals.

Shelaine Green, chairwoman of the Guernsey Disability Alliance, said: "John is a true 'man of the people' who has Asperger syndrome himself and therefore has a deep personal understanding of the barriers that disabled islanders face, particularly when it comes to having to overcome the attitudes of others."

Deputy Gollop said: "In a way I've lived with some of the disability themes, these include being taken seriously, participation in employment, access to all kinds of events, absence of stigma, access to resources and all those sort of issues."

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Guernsey States disability champion elected Empty Re: Guernsey States disability champion elected

Post by kingcolemk Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:29 pm

Does this mean a review of the inadequate disabled parking arrangements in Town and the Bridge ?

Also an enforcement of the correct use of the few parking spaces there are. Particularly the ones in Church Square.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Guernsey States disability champion elected Empty Re: Guernsey States disability champion elected

Post by Thistle Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:24 pm

it means that john will be the spokesperson for disability matters within the states..he will do a very good job all i can hope is that the chief minister at HSSD will work with john to provide an adult respite care unit purely for adults with learning disabilities x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:19 am

I do hope he will look at those who have ADHD as well as this effects so many . time is needed when younger to help them cope with life other wise lots end up in prison later costing the tax payer more money .
there is a lot of work for John to do and i am sure he will do us proud
one is to make sure folks with mobility problems can get into the voting places to vote . as last douziane election many could not get in to the constables office to vote because of the steps .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:29 am

Accessability is a massive problem throughout Town, BUT I do not see that much can be done about improving it without damaging and spoiling the architechtural nature of the place. The Markets is a good example of how NOT to do it.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

it will be ok once they have renovated the Constables office the plans are very good and has easy access for wheelchair users .
work will start this year on it .i for one am looking forwards to a new office. that is easy for us all to get into.
there is also plans passed for a ranp by town church so the levels will go up to get rid of those few steps . this will make it much easier for all to get into town .
some shops have lowered the footage out side or have a ramp to get you in
unfortunatly our town was built on a hill so it is invetable that there will be many steps in all places .the Arcade is the bast place to shop and lots of shops have got rid on steps and put a slop in as it is easier there . but some place in the town still have terrible access . as it is the old part of the town.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

you can get to the market as there is a slope to give access to wheelchair users etc
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

Yes, but the whole character of the building has been ruined. Access was never that bad anyway before they hacked all about.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

may i just say kingcole the disabled access slope was fought for by a disabled guernseyman at the head of the group.whilst i think the internal part of the market and the external corner of what was the meat market has changed the rest is as it always was.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

I don't dispute what you say there, but it is changed. For example give me a reason to visit it now. There is nothing in there of interest to most people.

It used to be thronging with people in the old days. Now it is deserted most of the time.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

[quote="Thistle"]may i just say kingcole the disabled access slope was fought for by a disabled guernseyman at the head of the group.whilst i think the internal part of the market and the external corner of what was the meat market has changed the rest is as it always was.[/quote

I agree thistle - I knew the guernseyman personally for many years and the ramp there is a legacy to him - that ramp makes such a difference for the disabled.
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

This ramp has been on the carde for many years ,like you say this man fought for it to happen and it did
as for the markets i am delighted at the way they put it back to what it was .the outside is beautiful
the meeting room upstairs is like time has stood still
As for no one using the markets .that is because most shoppers go to the supermarkets of a one stop shop!
had the continued to shop how it used to be there would have been a call for the markets to return
perhaps a smaller market in the answer the old slaughterhouse is ideal and with disabled access . and close to the bus . so not far to go to come home .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Yes the ramp is good and long overdue, but what shops are there that any disabled would want to visit ? Cetainly not supermarket types. As far as I can see it's all fashion and pop.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:30 am

That is what we want for our younger folks to stay living here .there is a shop to suit you and me .. holland and Barret
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:37 am

all disabled people aren't our age kingcole ..people still need to buy clothes and go shopping disabled or not x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

kat wrote:That is what we want for our younger folks to stay living here .there is a shop to suit you and me .. holland and Barret

Holland & Barrett? are there not enough 'Health Food' shops already in Guernsey? and at a time when the EU is likely to stop vitamins etc being sold at the drop of a hat!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 10 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm

i sent an email into radio guernsey this morning re a separate adult respite unit and it wasnt even read out..before anybody tells me i should have phoned i couldnt as the phone line was down..there was another number to dictate your message to but it was always engaged x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Guernsey States disability champion elected Empty States

Post by rosie.henderson3 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:18 am

Thistle wrote:may i just say kingcole the disabled access slope was fought for by a disabled guernseyman at the head of the group.whilst i think the internal part of the market and the external corner of what was the meat market has changed the rest is as it always was.
Although the facade was retained the whole raison d'etre of the market was ruined - it appears to me as a Guernsey person of only some 56 years - that the States have always governed by attrition. They allow buildings to fall into disrepair and then 'have' to modernise and ruin them. They ask the same question time after time until they get the answer they want and immediately change the law - Sunday trading - the question has been asked and asked again - we've said no but the question continues until all the 'no's' are either dead or bored to death of being negative - or just bow to the inevitable. I have - perhaps had - high hopes for this government I hope I was not wrong!

rosie.henderson3

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:10 am

Oh how refreshing to see a Guern with a positive attitude for a change ! What a pity you did not get elected, it needs someone with your attitude to kick a few bums.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

i dont think rosie stood in the election kingcole..i totally agree with you that the states let buildings fallinto disrepair and then sell them on to uk companies to do with what they will.as for sunday trading the quicker its brought in the better..every islander who goes to the pub on a sunday doesnt get struck down so why should sunday shopping be any different .
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 24 Jun 2012, 9:28 am

I know she didn't, just saying it's a shame there are not more positively minded people who do stand and get elected. The potential for improvement in Guernsey, to make it even better than it is already, is enormous, but it needs drive and initiative to realize it.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum