www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle

4 posters

Go down

Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle Empty Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle

Post by GD Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

Sark's government has been involved in a court battle with Brecqhou residents Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay.

The billionaire twins have taken a fresh fight for reform of the the island's governance to the High Court, which has reserved judgement.

The brothers have objected to powers granted by Sark's constitution, specifically those given to the unelected Seigneur.

The pair have been engaged in a long-running conflict with Sark's leaders.

A court challenge in 2008 saw the brothers argue for greater reform in the island's government.

Sark embraced democracy in the same year, as it saw an end to feudal practices.

In the years that followed, tension between islanders, Chief Pleas (the island's government) and the Barclay brothers has increased.

Lawyers for the Chief Pleas urged judges to dismiss the new court case.

They argued that legislation on the island should remain as it is.

Lawyers acting for the Barclay brothers claimed recent changes allowing the Seigneur to remove the Seneschal (the island's judge) and take on the role of President of Chief Pleas during a vacancy went against principles of democracy.

They said such powers "thwart the will of the people" in free, democratic elections.

The post of Seneschal was, in the past, appointed on an hereditary basis.

Sir John Thomas and Mr Justice Burnett reserved judgement until an unspecified date.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle Empty Re: Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle

Post by Thistle Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

why cant they leave the sarkees to govern the island of sark the way they want to ..bullies comes to mind x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle Empty Re: Barclay brothers in Sark High Court battle

Post by Mischas Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm

I agree Thistle, but they are bullies with money to force the issues. I think someone should drop a bomb on their monstrosity of a castle, making sure they're inside it at the time.

Mischas

Female
Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:00 am

They remind me of the people who went to Spain on holiday - loved it - stayed - and then demanded that they get everything they could get in Britain like Bacon and Eggs for breakfast, Fish and Chips, British Beer, etc etc ad infinitum!!! The difference with the Barclays is that they are bullies with money - but the principle is the same........

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down