www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prices up 7% since start of GST

3 posters

Go down

Prices up 7% since start of GST Empty Prices up 7% since start of GST

Post by GD Mon 07 Jul 2008, 8:01 pm

Jersey's consumer watch-dog has found that prices have risen by seven per cent since the introduction of GST in May.

The Island’s Consumer Council carried out a price check in the Island’s main supermarkets in April and again in May to compare prices before and after the three per cent Goods and Services Tax was implemented.

Deputy Alan Breckon, the Consumer Council chairman, said that he did not think the rise was down to just GST and inflation.

‘We have not seen the proof of that. We know about world commodities, but this is a significant jump in a short period of time when you look at it,’ he said. ‘GST is three per cent and is coming out as five or six per cent, so what are the issues here? Are people taking advantage of a situation? (from thisisjersey)

Well it does not surprise me if some companies take an advantage of the GST by putting an extra "added" bit on top...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Prices up 7% since start of GST Empty Re: Prices up 7% since start of GST

Post by wayside Mon 07 Jul 2008, 8:50 pm

I would have thought that some companies would hav absorbed the 3% but I think everyone over the past couple of years has been already absorbing other increases and they decided this one was too much.

Maybe now they have decided to add some of the increases that they absorbed in the past as well.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Tue 08 Jul 2008, 3:56 pm

I agree with wayside, if you can see the cost's that are being passed on by the suppliers, it's no wonder thats the seller's have had to put up thier prices this much!
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down