www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schools decision "UPDATE"

5 posters

Go down

Schools decision "UPDATE" Empty ON-LINE CAMPAIGN FOR ST SAMPSONS INFANTS GOES LIVE

Post by GD Wed 19 Mar 2008, 9:43 pm

Islanders are already signing up to an on-line petition to save St Sampson's
infants school.

Campaigners have set up the site sos.gg to try and drum up support as the
school is considered for closure.

The site's gone live today.

St Andrews primary is the other school education chiefs are thinking of
shutting down.

Their on-line petition's already seen hundreds of signatures.

LINKY
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Schools decision "UPDATE" Empty Schools decision "UPDATE"

Post by GD Mon 11 Aug 2008, 4:07 pm

FRUSTRATION is growing as it looks unlikely the States will decide its capital priorities until the spring.

It would mean a long wait for both Education’s plans for Les Beaucamps and Health and Social Services’ for mental health facilities. The debate was previously expected to have taken place in the autumn.

Education minister Carol Steere said a promise had been made in 2001 to develop the secondary schools when the States decided to keep the 11-plus.

Plans for redeveloping Les Beaucamps are ready to go, she said.
‘In my initial discussions with the chief minister there was an indication there were funds for Les Beaucamps and, quite possibly, for Health as well. I agreed to take on this job on the basis that we would be able to go to the States and get the OK to see through a major project,’ said Deputy Steere.

‘To now find myself in a situation where, although I haven’t heard officially, the indications are the prioritisation debate will be in the spring, which is a great concern. It was a priority in the last House and we’ve got to get our act together to get these things through.’ (from CIonline)

Typical States education become second best again...

Last edited by GD on Wed 24 Sep 2008, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Schools decision "UPDATE" Empty Future of schools to be debated

Post by GD Mon 15 Sep 2008, 1:30 pm

Education bosses in Guernsey are to begin discussing the future of two primary schools this week.
The Education Department is due to decide on whether St Andrew's School or St Sampson's Primary will close in cost-cutting measures in the autumn.
Falling pupils numbers have been partly blamed for the proposals.
Deputy Education Minister Alistair Langlois said the department had a responsibility to the whole island to make savings if they were needed.
He said: "In my view - and this is something I will be saying in that debate - it can't be debated in isolation.
"It's all to do with the overall budget of the Education Department and our corporate responsibility from an island point of view to say, 'Right, where can savings be made?' if they need to be made."
Although the debate begins this week, a firm decision is not expected until later in the year. (from BBC News)

It all down to economics at the end of the day, the costs of running half empty schools cannot be considered viable...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Schools decision "UPDATE" Empty Re: Schools decision "UPDATE"

Post by Digger Mon 15 Sep 2008, 8:37 pm

The war will begin on Wednesday they will come up some strong opposition from both schools . Look what happened last time at St Andrews school the posters are still around.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 18 Sep 2008, 3:52 am

and still the debate goes on..........If I were a betting man St Sampson’s will go because St Martins have more money people and none locals.....I hope neither school closes.......

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 24 Sep 2008, 9:38 am

St Sampsons infants school to close

St Andrews will remain open
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 24 Sep 2008, 10:40 am

ST ANDREW’S Primary School has escaped closure – but St Sampson’s Infants has not. It is due to close in July 2010.

St Andrew’s head teacher Mary Sebire was thrilled with the decision announced by Education this morning, but said that her thoughts were with the St Sampson’s community.

‘I am absolutely delighted for the whole of St Andrew’s – children, parents, staff and other parishioners. I thank everyone for their support, especially those on the PTA, who led such an excellent campaign,’ she said.

St Andrew’s PTA chairwoman Maria Tostevin and her predecessor, Alasdair McLaren, said: ‘This is a vote for parish life. The relief is enormous. We are planning a big party. At the same time, our hearts go out to the teachers, parents and pupils at St Sampson’s.’

St Sampson’s Infants head Anne Brouard was bitterly disappointed by the decision – but appreciated how difficult it had been to make. (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Wed 24 Sep 2008, 1:04 pm

This is soo sad to hear.. 😢

Its a lovely little school and very friendly...

Mrs Brouard has done an excellent job there as head.....
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed 24 Sep 2008, 1:12 pm

is it becaus send their child to the st andrews school it staye so many top folks in guernseyed open?
Both schools have merit .both school do an exellent job
both school have been fighting to stay!
did it say WHY they chose st sampsons to close?
Are they going to use it to support the colledge perhaps?
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Thu 25 Sep 2008, 3:28 pm

PARENTS of children at St Sampson’s Infants School were distraught yesterday after finding out through the media the school was to close. One heartbroken mum who contacted the Guernsey Press said she felt let down by the Education Department and would continue to campaign to save the school

Sadie Rosamond, a PTA member, said the first she knew of it was when she saw the front page story in yesterday’s edition.

‘I’m so disappointed in [Education minister] Carol Steere. She told us in a PTA meeting we would not find out through the media, but that is exactly what has happened,’ she said.

Mrs Rosamond said a letter had been sent to parents, but, like many others, she had gone to work and would not have seen it until yesterday evening. She has a daughter, Alexia, 5, at the school and although she will not be directly affected, she has other relatives who will and is still prepared to fight to keep it open.

‘I feel very angry and don’t like being lied to. We have a PTA meeting on Monday and will fight until the end. We will take our thoughts to the States and the deputies who supported us. We will not give up.’ (from thsisiguernsey)

Its a typical states way...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content