www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans

4 posters

Go down

Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans Empty Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans

Post by GD Thu 19 Mar 2009, 8:29 pm

ST SAVIOUR’S Tavern should return to its former use, according to its patrons.Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans 0741715
New planning proposals have been put forward that will see the former pub - known ironically to its regulars as The Ritz - turned completely into housing.
The pub was bought by Lapwing, a company owned by Tom Scott, which has submitted two planning applications. The original one saw the downstairs returning to its former use as a bar.
But plans put forward earlier this month are for just three residential units.
Corinne Connolly, who represented the former regulars, was disappointed to see the new proposals.
‘There are several who would welcome the chance to return and support a bar at St Saviour’s Tavern,’ she said.
‘There is currently no pub in the parish, but most of us still manage to meet up on a regular basis at a bar just across the border.
‘The Tavern is a lovely character building with a deep and varied history and, if developed in the right way, could offer a little piece of old Guernsey charm, which is sadly lacking in some of the public houses today.’
Architect Peter Falla said that he was just putting forward ideas and that the final decision would be made by Lapwing.
‘What we are doing for the client is to give them more options,’ he said.
‘It’s quite a difficult time for out of town pubs. In the UK about 20 a day are closing.
‘We haven’t really made up our minds what we want to do with the building. These planning applications are just one solution. We have to have the manoeuvrability if we can get the investment to do the pub. In this climate that would seem to be quite a difficult route to go.
‘It’s simply a case of we want to get as many options for the site as we can.
‘The recent one is probably the most suitable at the moment.’
Mrs Connolly disputed that, saying that the island did not have a pub on every corner like the UK. Falling numbers of people going to pubs was partly due to the fact that not everyone wanted to sit in a dining area, she said.
The pub closed on 8 September 2007. Mr Scott had purchased it the previous month for £285,200. (from thisisguernsey)

Why does this change not surprise me...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans Empty Re: Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans

Post by Chok Dee Ja Fri 20 Mar 2009, 3:08 pm

The place went downhill after Brian Gilbertson left

RIP Brian

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans Empty Re: Blow for Ritz regulars as bar disappears from latest plans

Post by steve 19 Fri 20 Mar 2009, 5:18 pm

I agree Chok, when he first arrived at the Ritz, he did not seem to grasp how country pubs should run. But he soon realised that we were not all that strange !!
I distinctly remember my 18th birthday, i walked in as asked if he'd buy me a beer to celebrate. He said yes, poured the pint, i thanked him. He then said " how old are you today" The look on his face when i told him the truth. ( i had been a regular for some time) :)
steve 19
steve 19

Male
Number of posts : 1272
Job/hobbies : Motorsport
Humor : Hell yes
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischas Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:32 pm

Wendy once told me a funny story about her first day as manager at the Ritz.

She had been out the night before taking over at the Ritz, to Chungs Chinese Restaurant in Fountain Street. There she had been bothered by an unruly bunch of young men and women, including having food thrown at her.

Wendy apparantly gave them a good talking to. I think she might have even said she got them thrown out of the restuarant.

Walking into the Back Bar of the Ritz the following day to take up her new position with Brian she was horrified to see that most of the youngsters were her regulars.

Needless to say it all turned out well. Makes me wonder Steve if you could have been one of them. lol

As you will probably gather, I was also a regular at the Back Bar of St. Saviours for many many years. I started going there when Brian and Wendy took over. When I left for Australia Wendy and John were running it. I was sad to not be able to go back to one of the haunts from my younger days when I visited Guernsey last year.

Oh gods, now I'm remembering some of the New Years Eves Party's that were held there. Them were the good old days eh?

Mischas

Female
Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by steve 19 Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:50 pm

Hell yes Mischas, but no, i did not go to Chungs, i used Tudor House !! :)
Damn, i'm trying to figure who you are !! lol
steve 19
steve 19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischas Sat 21 Mar 2009, 10:29 am

Lol, check your inbox Steve, hmmm or should that be Goolah?

Mischas

Female
Number of posts : 96
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by steve 19 Sat 21 Mar 2009, 11:39 am

:) Got me first time !! lol
steve 19
steve 19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down