www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contract award will not harm Alderney, says Guernsey firm

Go down

Contract award will not harm Alderney, says Guernsey firm Empty Contract award will not harm Alderney, says Guernsey firm

Post by GD Sat 19 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm

J. W. RIHOY managing director Gavin Rihoy has brushed off the hostile reaction to the firm landing a big building job in Alderney.

The island’s Policy and Finance Committee has recommended that it build the New Connaught Care Home, ahead of island builders J. F. W. Main and A. J. Bohan.

Mr Rihoy said Alderney firms and labour would be used as much as possible.

His firm submitted a tender for £2.1m., £185,000 less than Main’s and £320,000 less than Bohan’s. Rihoy’s timescale of 52 weeks was also shorter than those of the local firms at 75 and 78 weeks respectively.

Alderney States is expected to ratify P&F’s decision at its next meeting on Wednesday, much to the anger of several islanders at this week’s People’s Meeting, as well as Main’s owner, Jackie Main, who expects job losses to result.

He said: ‘I am disappointed that the contract has not been given to a local company. It is our money that is being spent and it is now going to be spent outside the island. I think the decision will lead to job losses. There’s a shortage of work here already – my staffing has recently been reduced by people retiring and moving on and those men haven’t been replaced.’

Former States member Mr Main said Alderney always awarded big contracts to off-island businesses.

Mr Rihoy said his company would do all it could to employ Alderney people.

‘I’ve already spoken to two local contractors about supplying plant and labour and to Blanchards about materials. I’m absolutely confident this decision will not lead to job losses in Alderney.’ (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down