www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

+4
Diddycoon
GD
Digger
Thistle
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

Post by Thistle Fri 07 Mar 2008, 8:24 pm

something strange happened at vazon recycling bins yesterday.whilst i was recycling my newspapers i spotted a guy measuring the bins and taking pictures of them.are we getting new bins or is something else happening .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Re: Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

Post by Digger Fri 07 Mar 2008, 9:19 pm

No idea Thistle but there was something on the news tonight. They were showing a new truck that collects from your home . A step forward IMHO. :D
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Waste & Recycling

Post by GD Mon 10 Mar 2008, 9:08 pm

DEPUTIES have toured waste sites to understand better the issues of rubbish disposal and recycling.

Public Services organised the tour of the Longue Hougue recycling facility, Fontaine Vinery segregation site and Mont Cuet landfill before Wednesday’s States meeting debates its progress report. ‘I thought it might be helpful if members familiarised themselves with these three sites, especially Mont Cuet, which is our only tip and it’s filling up fast,’ said minister Bill Bell.

‘The States will have to decide before long the future of Guernsey’s waste disposal, so the more they know the better.’ (from this is Guernsey)

How long is long?

Last edited by GD on Thu 07 Aug 2008, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Re: Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

Post by Digger Tue 11 Mar 2008, 3:51 pm

I don't agree with the mass burn theory i think its nonsense but IMO we do need a incinerator . Here is one they have built in Scotland its not much bigger than Aqua Star's building.

Link: http://www.sw-images-scotland.co.uk/portfolio_category.asp?cat=279

This makes interesting reading (warning a very long document) its the Dumfries plant

Link: http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/comser/waste/wastestrategy.pdf
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Egging you on to recycle

Post by GD Wed 12 Mar 2008, 6:29 pm

The Guernsey Recycling Advisory Forum are reminding islanders of recycling opportunities this Easter.

The group of volunteers who work with Public Services have distributed an Easter recycling poster around the island.

Guernsey Recycling Forum member Wendy McHugh said:

"There are currently around 10,000 children and teenagers in full-time education in Guernsey and it is highly likely that a large percentage of them will receive one or more Easter eggs this year.

"Therefore we would like to encourage everyone to consider recycling the cardboard packaging and foil wrappers after they have eaten their eggs."

Guernsey has limited space in which to dispose of its household rubbish, therefore Public Services are urging householders to consider the recycling options that are available.

This includes cardboard, foil (clean only), glass bottles, plastic containers, household tins, drink cans and paper. All of which can be recycled at any of the bring banks situated around the Island.

Recycling Officer Dr Keith Russell said:

"The rate of householders recycling is now 31% and we are actively trying to increase recycling on the island.

"Eighteen months ago Mont Cuet was predicted to be full by July 2014, now this has been extended to May 2015. We want more people to recycle, as this will extend the life of the landfill site even further and this Easter we can help each other by recycling Easter egg packaging." (from Channel Onlne)

Eggxactly....
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 12 Mar 2008, 7:16 pm

we do recycle our cardboard,tins,plastics,papers.we also burn bits we cant recycle.veggie peelings ,egg shells etc go into the wormery or compost bin.we only put one bag of rubbish out a week .
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Wed 12 Mar 2008, 7:52 pm

We in the diddycoon household recycle as much as we can - tins, newspapers/magazines, cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, HDPE bottles. We put out minimum amount of rubbish every week. Everyone should recycle. :)
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Recycle old CDs and DVDs

Post by GD Tue 17 Jun 2008, 10:00 pm

Old and unwanted CDs and DVDs can now be recycled.

The new facility is being introduced by Public Services Department to deal with the thousands of unwanted music, video and computer disks that are thrown away each year. Public Services Deputy Minister, Deputy Scott Ogier, said disposing of these items had become an increasing problem.

"A lot of newspapers and magazines now routinely give away CDs and DVDs, particularly at the weekend. It’s one thing someone actually going out and buy one, but a lot of the free ones just go straight in the bin and then end up at Mont Cuet," he said.

The growth in music downloads from the internet also meant some islanders were disposing of their old CD collections. Instead of throwing them away, CDs or DVDs can now be dropped off at the Longue Hougue Waste Recycling Facility. The compact discs will eventually be shipped to the UK, where all the materials, from the case and cardboard inserts to the disc itself, will be recycled.

The recycled plastic can even be used to make new CD cases, and other materials made into artificial wood products, alarm panels and insulation.
The Longue Hougue Waste Recycling Facility is not open to local businesses, but any companies that have a quantity of CDs or DVDs to dispose of can send them direct to Polymer Recycling. Details of the firm are available from Public Services on 717000. (from CIonline)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Recycling scheme could be extended island-wide

Post by GD Fri 20 Jun 2008, 5:41 pm

Guernsey's Public Services is deciding whether to make kerbside recycling island-wide.

It's now extending its trial until the end of the year.

The trial, which has involved households in St Peter Port North and St Peters, began in February 2006 and was due to end this month. So far more than 380 tonnes of recyclable waste has been collected, including cardboard, mixed glass, paper, plastic, textiles, tins and cans.

So it should be the Island needs to have this service
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 20 Jun 2008, 5:51 pm

I quite agree GD I have been saying this since they started
the trail ones . The will is there but some people just cant be bothered to
take it to the bins or are unable to do so because of transport problems .
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 21 Jun 2008, 7:50 pm

we werte part of the scheme when we lived in town.we now take all our stuff to the recycle bins.would be easier if it was collected every couple of weeks.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Sat 21 Jun 2008, 8:06 pm

i think its a great idea. Plastic, glass and paper at the roadside, and bulkier items, take to longue hougue! Problem solved.
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu 17 Jul 2008, 8:29 pm

What do you do with your unwanted banana peels and where do your well-read newspapers go?

Most islanders in Jersey and Guernsey are aware of the importance of recycling, but there's still work to be done. Ambitious targets have been set in both islands but are they being met?

In many ways, there's never been a better time to start recycling in Jersey. The problems at the Bellozanne waste disposal site have been well-publicised in recent months and the ageing incinerator's inching closer to its demise by the day.

On average, every person in Jersey throws away their own body weight every seven weeks and up to 85% of this could be recycled, but the amount of waste sent to Bellozanne's doubled in the past 20 years. Many islanders have taken to recycling with enthusiasm. And now the message is we can - and must - do more.

The campaign to get people recycling's focused on household waste - so that's things like newspapers and plastic bottles. The UK produces around thirty million tonnes of waste per year, of which around a third is recycled. Compare that to other European countries such as Germany, where more than 50% of waste is recycled every year. Jersey's target of recycling thirty-two per cent of household waste by the end of 2009 seems quite realistic.

One move that's aimed at getting more people into recycling is home kits for people to recycle their household waste. A scheme's due to start later this year. That'll see all householders in St Lawrence receive a set of special recycling tubs. They're designed to get people separating their rubbish into four categories. Newspapers and magazines, metal packaging, plastic bottles and cardboard.

Guernsey's further ahead than Jersey when it comes to recycling. But with a target of fifty percent by 2010 there's a lot further to go. The problem now is that bring banks are the only way most islanders can recycle their rubbish - and while Guernsey's apparently doing very well at using them - there will soon come a limit where more needs to be provided to get islanders to recycle their rubbish.

Kerbside recycling is one obvious solution. Trials in St Peter Port North and St Peters have already been extended. A report presented today to the Waste Disposal Authority outlined some of the options if this was to be introduced permanently to the island.

It's calculated that a maximum of eighty six percent of household waste can be recycled; and of that only seventy four percent could be recovered via kerbside collection. And that's only if organic waste is included. Without collecting organic waste it will be very difficult to meet the States target.

But weekly collections of all dry recyclable and organic wastes from every household in the island could cost up to a million and a half pounds a year. Additionally, they'll need very high numbers of people choosing to take part in the scheme. Guernsey has unique problems as well. The narrow roads and weight restrictions mean they're limited to the vehicles that could actually be used to run any scheme. A trial earlier this year of this vehicle was successful, but if waste was having to be separated and sorted on the kerbside it would be noisy.

This bit bothers me (They will need very high numbers of people choosing to take part in the scheme) It should be compulsory.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Panel warns waste plans are far too costly

Post by GD Wed 23 Jul 2008, 10:39 am

Guernsey's plans for a mass burn incinerator could leave islanders £70million out of pocket

That's the opinion of Guernsey's Waste Disposal People's Panel.

They think, if the States go ahead and select a solution for Guernsey's waste problem through the current process, islanders could be paying thousands of pounds too much.

The panel presented their response to plans for this month's States Meeting, last night.

They told politicians any option selected under the current tendering system wouldn't be in the best interest of islanders. (from IslandFM)

Yeah £70million and the rest!
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 23 Jul 2008, 7:43 pm

Plans by Public Services to progress a waste plant for Guernsey are on shaky ground.The department's report on how to deal with the island's waste has come under fire from its own people's panel and from deputies.

In 2004 hundreds of islanders marched to stop an incinerator they felt was too big from being built. Four years on there's no marching, but the people's representatives are doing battle once again with the department to try to stop a plant they still say is too big.

Whatever plant is built at Longue Hougue is already under debate. Public Services is saying we need to have a plant which is capable of dealing with 45 to 70 thousand tonnes of waste a year so obviously it's going to be pretty large. But their people's panel say it only needs to cope with twenty thousand tonnes of rubbish a year. So how do States members and islanders know who to trust on this issue. First of all, what are the implications of building a large plant and finding out it's too big? According to Waste Disposal People's Panel member, Dr Barrie Mealing, it would be a major mistake:

"We would have sunk more into this project than Guernsey has spent on anything ever. The temptation then would be to generate enough waste flows to feed the plant in order to generate the gate income to keep the company operating and solvent."

Channel Online: "And so the alternative to that then if we build your plant and it's too small what would happen then, what would we have to do?"

Dr Mealing: "Worst scenario is you have to augment it, but that's affordable. So if you build a very small plant and it's too small then an extra module is affordable."

Across the water, another island is wrestling with its own waste debate. Jersey is in a quite different situation - it's had an incinerator for years and is now planning to build another one. But Jersey's problems in dealing with the ash produced could be a good reason for Guernsey to build the smallest plant it can. Jersey's Environment Scrutiny Panel Chairman, Deputy Rob Duhamel told Channel Online it should be food for thought for Guernsey:

"Yes that's right, it's an ongoing problem, I mean in terms of the maintenance of buildings and things like that, I mean, in effect, you will always be committing over the twenty-five year lifetime of the project to spending money on digging holes in the ground and tipping the materials into it, which is a waste of money."

So with all of this going on and considerable disquiet among States members about the reliability of PSD's report, it looks like being a bumpy road for the department next week. (from Cionline)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Wed 23 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

This idea of we must have a mass burn is a fallacy as i have said we need a smaller plant i have even looked into one that they have built in Dumfries which would suit our island down to the ground .

The problem with our states is there is no will to push the recycle option you hear a lot of talk but no action , look how popular the Longe houge(sp) site is now it is up and running .We recycle all we can and its amazing every time we go to the banks they are nearly always full so the will of the public is there just not at the top.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Local Company fear waste monopoly

Post by GD Wed 23 Jul 2008, 8:14 pm

There are fears that plans for a waste treatment centre in Guernsey will lead to a monopoly.

Dan Hubert, MD of Island Waste, says there are concerns across the Guernsey's existing waste industry.

A short-list of tenders for a new facility will be put to politicians next week.

Mr Hubert says private sector waste companies won't allow the States plans to go through without a fight.

Mr Hubert's also backing a warning from a people's panel set up to look at the waste issue. (from Island FM)

Well there speaks a man who has been trying to create a monopoly for years...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out" Empty Ex Environment Minister wants waste sent to Jersey

Post by GD Thu 24 Jul 2008, 12:12 pm

A senior politician is urging the States to look at shipping our rubbish to Jersey.

Deputy David de Lisle spoke out in favour of the move last night at a people's meeting on waste at St Peters Community Hall.

Recently Jersey decided to buy a massive and controversial 105,000 tonne mass burner to deal with their rubbish.

Its so big even if they burn all their waste, there will still be room for an extra 35,000 tonnes.

Deputy De Lisle thinks exporting rubbish to our sister island could be a sustainable solution to our waste problem.(from IslandFM)

Sounds like the best place for our rubbish... look out Jersey..lol
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu 24 Jul 2008, 4:15 pm

I disagreed with this option the last time around but thinking about it if Jersey don't charge over the top prices it is sounding better each time i hear it . But we must carry on the recycling route.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Thu 07 Aug 2008, 7:59 pm

THE States’ decision to continue with its plans for a 70,000-tonne
incinerator will cost the island millions, according to a member of the Waste Disposal People’s Panel.
Dr Barrie Mealing said the panel maintained its view that the States’ persisting to find a solution that accommodates an initial 45,000 tonnes of waste per annum rising to 70,000 was flawed.
He said it was going to end up costing islanders far more than proposals put forward by the panel before the debate in the House last week.
‘We will probably spend four times more than we should have done.’
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu 07 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

I am nearly speechless i have been saying for over two years that we do not need a huge incinerator . Another waste of tax payers money ,when will they listen to people who know all they have to do is contact the staff at the plant in the IOM as they will tell them the full story on how it needs so much rubbish to keep it running it is just not cost affective. It costs £36.000 to stop and start it (and that info is from someone who built it) they are searching high and low for rubbish to run it . The States of Guernsey are unbeliveable.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:15 pm

How many of you folks actually do care about the environment here in Gsy??

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:43 pm

Have you been down the recycling bins Pete ? there is always someone there . I think most people do care about the environment over here as i have said before the will of the people is there but the States are yet again dragging their feet.As a side note have you ever known the states to decide on something during one term let alone one year?
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 26 Aug 2008, 7:46 pm

NEW recycling initiatives should be brought in without delay, according to Deputy David De Lisle.
The former Environment minister, who in January 2007 successfully placed an amendment for the States to adopt a target of 50% recycling by 2010, said he was disappointed by the lack of steps taken by Public Services to achieve that figure.
He feels the department is underestimating the drive islanders have for recycling after Public Services minister Bernard Flouquet said he did not believe recyclable figures would increase until the majority of islanders changed their ways.
‘This is a very negative posture to take,’ said Deputy De Lisle.
‘We are all depending on the co-operation and dynamism of Public Services and its minister to move recycling forward.
‘It’s not the people but the department that needs to mend its ways and seize opportunities to recycle more. People are not holding back – they want to move forward.’
Figures released on Wednesday showed recycling had stabilised at just below 31%.
Deputy De Lisle said this was not good enough.
‘It has delayed bringing in new recycling initiatives and that’s with the number showing that some would yield substantial profitability for government. Public Services has delayed introducing in-vessel composting until a preferred end-disposal facility is considered and it has delayed bringing in kerbside recycling island-wide.’ (thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 23 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

PUBLIC SERVICES’ recycling report will be called into question at tomorrow’s States meeting.

Deputy David De Lisle has issued a set of questions he wants answered by minister Bernard Flouquet to explain what he describes as a lack of drive and effort by the department to increase the island’s recycling rate.

Deputy De Lisle said the questions stemmed from unsatisfactory responses the minister gave in a Guernsey Press article last month. In the article Deputy Flouquet warned it would be difficult to reach 50% recycling if food waste was excluded from any kerbside collection system.

In January 2007, Deputy De Lisle, as Environment minister, successfully placed an amendment for the States to adopt a target of 50% recycling by 2010.

‘I don’t believe we are going ahead fast enough. I’m obviously committed to meeting the 50% by 2010 in both commercial and household recycling but I don’t feel enough is happening on the commercial side because a lot of material is still going down the tip that could be considered for recycling.’ (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next