www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former deputy says remove top job

+2
technophobe
GD
6 posters

Go down

Former deputy says remove top job Empty Former deputy says remove top job

Post by GD Fri 13 Nov 2009, 2:24 pm

A former deputy has suggested Guernsey should do away with the chief minister position.
Former Health Minister Peter Roffey said he believed it was unnecessary, and while the Policy Council should remain, changes were needed.
It follows comments earlier in the week from another former minister suggesting the top council should be abolished.
Mr Roffey said it was not perfect, but it was better than the system that was in place prior to 2004.
'Most informed'
He said: "To a certain extent we've moved in the right direction. Where we got it wrong I think was at the centre, the Policy Council is not properly structured.
"That doesn't mean we shouldn't have one, but I don't think it's worked properly from day one."
Instead of a chief minister he suggested the Treasury and Resources minister should chair the council, "recognising that really it's finance that is the driver for most of the strategic aims the States want to achieve".
Mr Roffey said: "The overseas part of the role is mainly talking about our tax systems and economy anyway and therefore it should be the finance minister who is most informed and able to do just that." (from BBC)

mmm I wonder if his comments will be noted?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Former deputy says remove top job Empty Re: Former deputy says remove top job

Post by technophobe Fri 13 Nov 2009, 3:16 pm

I agree with him wholeheartedly.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 13 Nov 2009, 3:39 pm

I agree - and really TTT is never 'on island' too busy on 'jollys' at the tax payers expense....maybe he wants to be up there with the Blairs/Browns of politics etc so that at the end of his term in office he can hob nob with the 'best' and perhaps make money writing his memoirs (leaving out the bits that us Guerns all remember, but he would like to forget).....

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 14 Nov 2009, 8:19 am

i totally agree.would be interesting to know how many jollies the CM has been on since taking office and how much it has cost the taxpayer.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy Sat 14 Nov 2009, 10:50 am

Thistle has a good point. However If trips are needed by politicians so be it no problem. This being the case Government should be open and transparent and put every penny spent of taxpayers money on the internet. It happens in other places and our states members should be whiter than white, if they are against scrutiny why?

Sunshine is a fabulous disinfectant.

Ask the MPs in the English government.

BB

boatyboy

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 14 Nov 2009, 8:44 pm

I agree with BB if a trip is needed it is needed. Peter has a good point about finance driving most of the strategic polices so are we sending the correct person on the trips. To make the most of a trip perhaps the guys who hold the finance strings and know how the Island icks should go.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down