www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed

+5
x360
saumarez donkey
GD
9 posters

Go down

Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Empty Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed

Post by GD Tue 26 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed _47183644_dsc_0102 One of the 14 sirens is due to be kept for ceremonial use

Guernsey's public warning sirens will no longer be used as the Home Department replaces them with text messages.
The department claimed the sirens had reached the end of their useful working life.
It said the siren on Victoria Tower would be the only one of the island's 14 retained, and would be kept for ceremonial use.
The sirens were used to warn islanders of major incidents or emergencies.
The department said it was working with local telecommunications providers to send out messages to the public in the wake of a major incident or emergency to communicate critical messages to as many people in as short a time as possible.
It said it would also continue to use the island's radio stations to get messages out quickly.
'Frequent confusion'
Emergency Planning Officer Catherine Veron said: "The public warning sirens are no longer suitable for emergency planning purposes without a large investment of taxpayers' money in replacing them, as well as investment in training and exercising.
"Double glazing has reduced the effectiveness of the audio range and similar-sounding systems are in place in the quarry industry, which frequently results in confusion."
The sirens were installed in 1937 and were first used in anger on 28 June 1940 when three planes bombed St Peter Port harbour, killing 33 people.
The ceremonial uses of the sirens include Liberation Day and Remembrance Day, with a rising and falling note to signify imminent danger and the steady note of the 'all clear' marking the start and end of commemorative silences. (from BBC)

I think that this is a sensible decision, its good that the one will be kept on Victoria tower....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Empty Re: Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed

Post by saumarez donkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 9:39 pm

Not to sure about the text thing............ strange....
last year the siren fell off the roof of the houguette school because it was so rotten!!!!
saumarez donkey
saumarez donkey

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Empty Re: Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed

Post by Thistle Tue 26 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

prob is if we dont have a mobile or tend to leave it at home we would be up a creek without a paddle.anyway if there was a nuclear explosion at cap de la hague we wouldnt be alive to read the text anyway .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 26 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

Was that the siren or the roof that was rotten????? Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Lol

I think it's a shame that another part of our history is biting the dust.......on Armistice Day the sound of the siren's wail used to give me goose bumps and focus me entirely on what we were being silent for! Same with Liberation Day - I do not think my mobile phone will have the same effect - especially as I usually forget to put it on!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by x360 Wed 27 Jan 2010, 4:31 am

why text, quickest way to get a message around the island...........tell a woman Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Icon_surprised

x360

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 27 Jan 2010, 8:40 am

so true lol Guernsey's air raid warning sirens to be removed Lol
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Wed 27 Jan 2010, 3:05 pm

I agree there is nothing quite as eerie as the siens wail but to be realistic they serve no useful purpose now.Even if we still had bomb shelters the "bunker buster" bombs would still get us.As I don't have a mobile I'll just have die in ignorance!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by saumarez donkey Wed 27 Jan 2010, 5:18 pm

I agree with Karma,it did make me focus on exactly why they were being sounded especially on nov the 11th.Glad they will keep the one on Victoria Tower for cerimonial purposes.
Sorry meant to say the whole siren was rotten!.
saumarez donkey
saumarez donkey

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 10 Feb 2010, 3:30 pm

The outcry over Guernsey's emergency sirens is showing no signs of abating.

Last month the Home Department announced they were getting rid of the pre-war system and replacing it with text messages.

Now a Guernsey resident has organised a petition and a protest march.

Amie Gillott is hoping islanders will join her on the 21st of February at Salerie Corner to walk to Frossard House and hand a petition to the Home Minister.

A Facebook group in support of the sirens already has more than 2000 members.
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by local guy Wed 10 Feb 2010, 4:41 pm

GD wrote:A Facebook group in support of the sirens already has more than 2000 members.

Be interesting to see how many virtual protesters turn up to march.
local guy
local guy

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 22 Feb 2010, 7:22 pm

NEARLY 30 Save Our Sirens campaigners marched through Town yesterday in an effort to get their voices heard.
They walked from Salerie Corner to Sir Charles Frossard House where they handed a 250-signature petition to Home minister Deputy Geoff Mahy. They want the department to review its decision to drop the early warning siren system.
‘The turnout is disappointing but people have other things to do and there’s other ways in which they can show their support, such as the petition, which will be an ongoing thing,’ said organiser Amie Gillott.
Elizabeth College student James Aldous-Granby, 15, had 2,156 messages of support for a campaign he launched on the internet social networking site, Facebook.
‘For me, on Liberation Day and Remembrance Sunday, the whole island is made aware of what the sirens are for,’ he said.
‘And the idea of replacing them with text messages is highly flawed.’ (from thisisguernsey)

30 plus peopel turning out... think its proves that the majority are not bothered..
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Mon 22 Feb 2010, 8:15 pm

Am I bothered-Yes-Whatever
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp Mon 22 Feb 2010, 9:31 pm

good to see the facebook protesters turning up eh !

bet their on facebook now, moaning about the turnout..
The Gimp
The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassandra Thu 18 Mar 2010, 12:52 am

i'm against removing the sirens.
Cassandra
Cassandra

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down