www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home

+3
kat
kingcolemk
GD
7 posters

Go down

Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home Empty Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home

Post by GD Thu 16 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

Two local businesses will be joining forces with Island Coachways to mark Car Free Week.

For a week from Monday (20 September), passengers on the Islands Insurance and Leapfrog branded buses will travel for free in a move to raise awareness of environmental issues and comes just a fortnight after figures were released showing that vehicle ownership in the island currently stands at over 85,000.

Hannah Beacom, managing director of Island Coachways, said, “Public transport is key to reducing car usage in the island so I’m pleased that these two local firms are getting involved in this way”.

Throughout the week Islands Insurance and Leapfrog will be covering the costs of travel on their branded buses.

“We hope that the initiative will encourage islanders who usually drive to leave their cars at home more often, even for just a couple of days a week,” said Chris Gnapp, managing director at Leapfrog.

The two firms are the latest in a series of local businesses which have made moves to encourage greater bus use in recent months.

“Not only is it a superb way to advertise the company but it also draws more attention to the buses as a more environmentally friendly and convenient way to travel around the Island,” said Stuart Wilson, director of Islands Insurance. (from ICfeed)

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home Empty Re: Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home

Post by kingcolemk Thu 16 Sep 2010, 2:40 pm

85,000 vehicles ?? I thought the population was about 65,000.

Something seems odd here.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home Empty Re: Local firms encourage islanders to leave their cars at home

Post by kat Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

some folks have 3 or more cars Kingcole .and some for each day of the week this includes cars that have been left to rot in folks garden and old vinerys .there are also many littered around housing estates let to rot while folks try to park their cars they have to use daily ,
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:32 pm

The official population is about 65,000, but some would disagree.

These figures include commercial vehicles, tractors, excavators etc. therefore some people need to have more than one vehicle available to them.

We also have a serious car culture here, with an almost pathological hatred of other road users by some drivers. This means that even short journeys are done by car when walking or cycling would be more suitable.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:38 pm

OK but the 65,000 includes children, the infirm, those who can't drive, those who can't afford a car etc. So the actual number of drivers might not be more than, lets say, 40,000.

Still seems a big difference even so.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 16 Sep 2010, 5:04 pm

spirit i cant cycle..too far to walk to town and to work ..the buses at my end of the island are very few about one every hour .that is if they bother to turn up at all.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 16 Sep 2010, 5:31 pm

I agree, Thistle, but plenty of people can, and should, but won't. The ones that get me are those who drive to the gym and spend an hour on an exercise bike.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 16 Sep 2010, 5:40 pm

It's all about the 'image' Spirit.... lol!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Thu 16 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm

Its all very well local firms encouraging their employees to leave their cars at home but what about anyone who lives in town who doesnt have their own parking space and works out of town. Where are they meant to leave their vehicle all day and if they aren't using it in the evening, all night without running the risk of getting a parking ticket?

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down