www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support for Guernsey artisan cheese

2 posters

Go down

Support for Guernsey artisan cheese Empty Support for Guernsey artisan cheese

Post by GD Tue 18 Jan 2011, 10:10 pm

A Guernsey cheesemaker has lent her support to a review calling for the Dairy to change its range of cheeses.

The report suggests it could reap rewards from a higher priced artisan cheese.

Fenella Madison has built up her business from scratch over the last couple of years. She makes Fort Grey blue cheese in her converted garage.

But she could be joined in the artisan cheese market in future by a bigger player locally. One of the key recommendations of the independent review of the dairy industry that came out last week was that Guernsey Dairy should look at producing an artisan cheese.

The idea is, it would be a high quality, more expensive cheese than the ones that are currrently produced and could therefore sell for a healthy profit across the Channel Islands and even in the south-east of England.

Fenella Madison said: "I think it could work and I think it could work very well because the production supervisor, Dave Domaille, his first love is cheese-making. He's a wonderful cheese maker. I really like their extra mature cheddar but I believe they're thinking of something a little different from their cheddar. Maybe expand the extra-mature as well as smaller cheeses. Maybe wax-coated.

"I think that's what the report said. I think they could do very well because there's definitely a market out there and there would be definitely a market for Channel Island products." (from CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Support for Guernsey artisan cheese Empty Re: Support for Guernsey artisan cheese

Post by Thistle Wed 19 Jan 2011, 7:46 am

i agree the cheese from the dairy is lovely but adifferent reange would be good..maybe they should be looking at making youghurt again as well .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down