www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets

5 posters

Go down

Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets Empty Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets

Post by GD Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:55 pm

A member of Guernsey's Policy Council has called for the island's "grubby" streets to be cleaned by the parishes.
Deputy Dave Jones said: "We're seeing a very grubby island at the moment. Why are the parishes not responsible?"
He said transferring responsibility from States Works would encourage competition between the parishes "to see which is the best kept".
St. Martin's Senior Constable Richard Strappini said parish douzaines would need additional man power and cash.
Mr Strappini said: "What the deputies are saying to us is 'you go and find the resources from your rates'. In other words, we must tax our own parish rate-payers more than before."
"However, I don't think the States are going to lower their taxes to compensate. So our poor parishioners are going to be paying an extra rate as well as their original tax." (from BBC)

Prehaps they could get some of the "unemployed" put to good use...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets Empty Re: Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets

Post by Thistle Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:21 pm

thats a good idea GD ..
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets Empty Re: Guernsey minister calls for parishes to clean streets

Post by ted Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:09 pm

I see nothing wrong with keeping the immediate area outside home free of litter, I often pick it up, it takes seconds and make the lane look much better. It also helps the staff of the states works who do a brilliant job. what does annoy me is the swd send their sweeper lorry up the lane and it looks great. then the owner opposite cuts their hedges with a tractor and leave the cuttings down with no intention of picking it up, and the lanes back to square one.
ted
ted

Male
Number of posts : 124
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:48 am

what about all the cigarette ends that are piling up in areas of town..i walked round the back of moores hotel last week and there was a carpet of cigarette butts from the office smokers..town is also looking very unsightly with dropped litter these days ..i have watched the street cleaners with their pickup sticks walk past things that they could have picked up cos they cant be bothered..taxpayers pay for the streets to be kept clean so why should we have to pay the parish from our own pockets as well x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Thu 21 Apr 2011, 1:28 pm

I am sick of fag ends .we at the parish have installed about 20 fagand gum boxes .but the roads are still littered with them
the ones who passed the law about not smoking inside different places should go and clean it up
each company should provide staff with a rest room for those who want to smoke .this would make a remarkable difference with in the town area
or charge town place more on the rates and taxes to pay for the place to be cleaned .
We also need to educate those who chew gum not to spit it out onto the roads and pavements I have had gum stuck to my shoes so many times now.it is disgusting
all these rules should be upheld from the police .so instead of walking around town chatting on their mobile phone to their friends they should look at what others are doing and earn their keep
what about employing litter wardens?
the town would soon be clean!
end of rant
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 22 Apr 2011, 8:14 am

litter wardens would be a brilliant idea kat..think of the money they would put into the coffers xxx
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 24 Apr 2011, 9:33 am

We have been asking for these for many years .just a matter of keep moaning .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 25 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

Thistle wrote:thats a good idea GD ..

They used to do that - but a few years back they stopped it because they didn't have enough supervisors to supervise the jobs being done.....duh!!!! They only need one to go and inspect the streets and report back if they are not satisfactorily done......overkill or what????

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:54 pm

i agree .i go into the constable office to say where it need to be cleaned and most times it is done.but we need more wardens to give out fines
why should we keep paying to pick up folks litter .some people just dont give a fig about litter
where i live it is terrible as the kids just throw litter on the ground the parents are just as bad
we have a man who clean our road for us voluntary .he picks up many sacks per week most is from open black sacks that has been put out too early .
they have been told many many time .it is a police matter so why dont they fine them from doing this ..once a few get fined they will soon get the picture not to do it
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down