www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong

4 posters

Go down

Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong    Empty Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong

Post by GD Tue 24 May 2011, 6:30 pm

The American preacher whose "end of the world" prophecy went conspicuously unfulfilled has a simple explanation for what went wrong - he miscalculated
Harold Camping had said he believed "beyond the shadow of a doubt" that Judgement Day was upon us on Saturday when rolling earthquakes would strike at 6pm.

But a few days on - and with no apocalypse in sight - he has back-pedalled on his theory.

The 89-year-old Christian evangelist from California is now telling his faithful followers they have to wait another five months for Jesus Christ to return to Earth and take them to heaven.

Mr Camping, leader of Family Radio Worldwide, said instead of the world coming to an end on May 21, as he first predicted, he now believes his forecast is playing out "spiritually".

He said the actual apocalypse is set down for October 21 - the day he had initially said would be when those remaining on Earth after all the good had joined God in the skies above would be obliterated.

He said it "dawned" on him that a "merciful and compassionate God" would spare humanity from a "hell on Earth for five months" by compressing the physical apocalypse into a shorter time frame.

His May 21 doomsday prediction sparked atheists to hold parties across the globe to bid farewell to those who believed they would be raptured.

Non-believer and US entrepreneur Bart Centre used the forecast to reel in cash by setting up a business that promised to rescue people's pets after the event.

He lured more than 250 clients to Eternal Earth-bound Pets with each paying up to $135 (£83) to have their furry friends picked up and cared for when they are gone.

He told the Wall Street Journal his clients would be disappointed twice: "Once because they weren't raptured and again because I don't give refunds."

Many other followers also gave up much or all of their world possessions in the belief that Mr Camping's forecast would come true.

But it is not the first time the broadcaster's predictions have not come to fruition.

In 1999, he was forced to explain when his apocalypse forecast did not happen - again, he used "mathematical error" for the mistake. (from SKY)

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong    Empty Re: Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong

Post by kat Tue 24 May 2011, 6:41 pm

shame he cannot forecast the lotto numbers
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong    Empty Re: Oops! Preacher Admits 'Apocalypse' Date Wrong

Post by kingcolemk Tue 24 May 2011, 7:11 pm

I like the tale about the bookmaker who was offering pick your own odds bets. I imagine a fair few would have fallen for that one.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 24 May 2011, 9:44 pm

kat wrote:shame he cannot forecast the lotto numbers

If his lottery numbers are as good as his end of the world predictions not a lot of money would be won lol!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down