www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow??

4 posters

Go down

Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow?? Empty Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow??

Post by GD Thu 24 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Channel Island high streets could change dramatically over the next few years, as the owners of retail giants Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores.

Arcadia group also own Topman, BHS, Miss Selfridge, Wallis and Dorothy Perkins and say the closures will be put into place in the next three years - though no locations of shops have yet been revealed.

The company say the move is due to a plunge in annual profits of 38%, equating to £133 million.

Jersey's highstreet has almost every Arcadia brand shop, with Topshop, Topman, Burton, Dorothy Perkins, Miss Selfridge, Wallis and Evans. Any closures would have a big impact on the look of the town centre and if shops are closed, could affect many jobs.

In Guernsey, there is a Burton, Dorothy Perkins and Miss Selfridge.

The good news for shoppers in the short term is that there will be big reductions in those stores over Christmas.

Arcadia boss, billionaire, Sir Philip Green has said the closures would come as store leases came up for renewal.

As well as the fragile financial climate, the fall in profits is being put down to the actual weather. An unusually warm October and November, has meant that new winter clothing has not been snapped up.
(from BBC)

Not Good...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow?? Empty Re: Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow??

Post by kingcolemk Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

I cannot accept that making a reduced profit is justification for wholesale closure of stores, putting hundreds out of work. They made £133 million PROFIT for Gawd's sake. Making any kind of profit these days is an achievement.

I don't suppose Mr Green will be among the redundencies will he.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow?? Empty Re: Topshop and Burton have announced the closure of up to 260 stores. others to follow??

Post by Thistle Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:43 pm

miss selfridge is a creasey franchise so should be ok....
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

kingcolemk wrote:I cannot accept that making a reduced profit is justification for wholesale closure of stores, putting hundreds out of work. They made £133 million PROFIT for Gawd's sake. Making any kind of profit these days is an achievement.

I don't suppose Mr Green will be among the redundencies will he.

Trouble is its the "Group" that has made the profit, so the loss making parts have to be sorted before they drag the "Group" beyond repair...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:25 am

I read that as being what the loss was.... Question Question

The company say the move is due to a plunge in annual profits of 38%, equating to £133 million.

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 25 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

just re read the piece karma and you are right my friend xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

That makes it a darn sight worse. If £133 million represents 38% of last year's profits then this year's profit must have been about £300 million !

Greedy bastards.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:03 am

I agree - they should be bankers!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down