www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused

5 posters

Go down

Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused Empty Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused

Post by GD Sat 11 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm

Plans for a recreational garden to be developed on the site of a Guernsey cemetery are turned down.

The application to alter the Brothers' Cemetery, from the Constables of St Peter Port, was rejected by the island's Ecclesiastical Court.

A survey of the tombs and vaults in the grounds will now be carried out by the States of Guernsey's archaeologist.

Dennis Le Moignan, Junior Constable for St Peter Port, said he reluctantly accepted the decision.

He said work to complete the survey and an accompanying report would start straight away.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused Empty Re: Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused

Post by kat Sat 11 Feb 2012, 5:17 pm

Good. hope they also refuse the plans for the sunken garden Shocked
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused Empty Re: Guernsey cemetery garden plans refused

Post by kingcolemk Sat 11 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

All seems a bit curlish and heavy handed to me. One cannot have too many flowers, they brighten up what would be a dreary world without them.

The cemetary where my parents are is an absolute picture of joy with all the flower beds that are dotted around the grounds. It feels a nice place to be, I quite look forward to being there one day. ( Not too soon I hope )

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 11 Feb 2012, 7:35 pm

We have some beautiful well kept cemeteries. all with help of environment. they give us the information to when to cut .and we do it is stages so the conservation kept with in them.
the cemetery they want to make into a garden has not been looked after for many many years .this should be up to the ones who brought the plots for burial sadly this did not happen so the rate payer will have to pay.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 12 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

its possible all the close family members are now dead to kat..when was the cemetary last used for buriels..personally if the junior constable of st peter port wants to see it turned into a place of beauty,peace and reflection i think it is a good idea..the cemetary is locked up because the grounds are dangerous at the moment .
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 12 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

There is much more to this ... Surprised . it was a good idea yes .but the following costs is huge .to keep it .
i would have liked it turned into a conservation area .. with information boards with a plan showing the history of it all .
but these plots were brought by families some of whom have been contacted already the last burial was in 1970s
we would have to find someone to open the gates and lock them at night .it would otherwise be a good place for the drunks to sit all day .this is one thing that stops me from supporting it .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Marby Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

If old graveyards are not re-cycled in generations to come we will have nothing but graveyards. This must have always been done in the past or this would be the case now.

I am sure that through the ages this has always been a difficult but necessarie (spell checker couldn't help me with that one:-) process.

Marby

Male
Number of posts : 20
Job/hobbies : Scuba Diving
Humor : Dark
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

You have to be very very careful .. we have deeds to our family grave setting out the rules .
This needs to be looked into for the place as well
. it is not fair for someone to pay many pounds for a last resting place for their loved one .only to fine it had been destroyed generations later .
It needs to be done very sensitively to satisfy all .In years to come there will be cremations only. and old graves will be reused as land will run out .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:39 am

who locks the other town graveyards up could they not lock this one to..the drunks dont hang around the other graveyards in st peter port ..surely it is better to have the land in use for something beautiful than a locked up peice of negleted ground x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:49 am

I think it is the costs of it all that is being looked at .and the hearing has said it should stay as it is at the moment .it will cost many thousands of pounds to put this grave yard back ,so it is safe enough for anyone to go into as in some vaults there is a 6ft drop.
there will also need a fence put all around as there is a huge drop of over 14ft into the roads .
if the parish pay for the upkeep of this cemetery will it lead the way for all other cost of upkeep to other cemetery of being the parishioners to upkeep?
all this should be looked into
We in st Peter port carry many other costs that others parishes dont
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down