www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days

+5
ted
kat
kingcolemk
Thistle
GD
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days Empty Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days

Post by GD Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:21 pm

The visit to the Bailiwick of Guernsey by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall has been extended to two days, the island's governor has announced.

Prince Charles and Camilla will visit the islands on 19 and 20 July.

Lieutenant Governor Air Marshal Peter Walker said: "It's great news for the Bailiwick as a whole.

"[They're] staying overnight because they are going to do Sark and Alderney the next day in order to get in all the events we've got planned."

Their visit is part of visits carried out by a number of members of the Royal Family to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

It will be the fifth time Prince Charles has visited the island.

In 2004 he visited Guernsey and Herm, while in 1995 he visited Sark and joined the celebrations in Guernsey for the 50th anniversary of the liberation from German occupying forces in World War II, unveiling the Liberation Monument.

The prince also visited twice in 1976 while he commanded the minesweeper HMS Bronnington.

Further information about the visit is due to be announced shortly.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days Empty Re: Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days

Post by Thistle Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:07 am

more money wasted from the public purse.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days Empty Re: Royal visit to Guernsey extended to two days

Post by kingcolemk Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

Good morning Thistle. Wink

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

goodnight kingcole... lol!
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

Actually Thistle I was thinking about this cost thing and I don't see that it is costing Guernsey much in extra cost at all. Travel, Accomodation, Personal security would all be paid by the UK. Local works and security would be by States employees who you would be paying anyway.

So apart from a slap up meal or two, how much will it really cost you ?

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:33 am

About 50 thousand perhaps ?
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:35 am

How ?

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ted Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:32 am

I suppose extra 1 days police protection, police usually import extra from England and pick up the bill. extra outfits with hat's for the swags (states wife's and girlfriends), plus an extra day's supply of sugar lumps for Camilla De Ville.
ps i've nothing against royalty.
ted
ted

Male
Number of posts : 124
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

special branch have been in island already as some drains are lashed down.they cost a lot . the costs of royal foods .fish and chips at cobo is not good enough. the roads to have an extra clean .all police on extra duty .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

You're using bean counter logic there. Come on now cheat fair, we are talking extra cost which would not be spent if they were not visiting.

Special branch is a UK cost, and surely you do not begrudge your guest a bit of grub. Wink

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

Conversely, the visit will bring quite a lot of dosh into the Island. Hotels, food etc have to be paid for. The main guests will have freebees but the hangers-on will have to pay.

Will also bring in a load of tourists and get national media coverage.

I would expect a visit like this to make a nett profit for the Island.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Wed 13 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

if Camilla slipsd on her butt like Ann did it will be world wide coverage . that was excellent value for money
he will be expected to do something while he is here so there is plenty of things that will be planned for it .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 14 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

how will the visit of a royal and his horse bring in extra visitors..i dont really think so.what hotels they will be staying at government house..that very large states owned property on queens road.i could find lots of things for the pair of them to do but we wont go there lol..i have no interest in big ears and horsies visit to guernsey other than the fact that it will def cost the people of guernsey
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

Please explain where these cost you refer to will be arise.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

They come with a large entourage, who will not be staying in Government House.

There are quite a few, possible sad, Royal groupies who spend every free moment following them around, as well as more casual visitors who would consider it to be a bonus to their holidays.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm

if the english irish conference cost the states in the region of £50,000 for extra police hours,bomb disposal squads,accommodation etc etc ..how much will the visit of charlie boy and his horse cost us . probably more than that meeting of the muppets
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

Your etc etc's are blooming expensive.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

the royal visit is expensive too x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by schoolyjo Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:24 pm

i agree thistle, what a waste of money , no-one even likes camilla the beast, not sure many people have much time for charles either , but all this money being spent on them could be better used to improve facilities in guernsey.

schoolyjo

Female
Number of posts : 177
Humor : exceedlingly wicked
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterr Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

I understand that the V. Marche has been cancelled because the enviroment department don't want the park being churned up before the royal visit. What a perverse set of priorities.

Peterr

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 30 Jun 2012, 8:41 am

Yes it has and it is right it should be ,not because the prince is coming but because of the damage to the park .
last time it was damaged it cost hundred of thousands of pounds to repair .
perhaps they could use specsaver car park of the north beach instead ?
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by schoolyjo Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:10 am

aahhh but its ok for it to cost hundreds of thousands of pounds for the beast and her sidekick? it seems strange that they would put off an event like this thats been going for yonks but will quite happily waste money on two unimportant people!

schoolyjo

Female
Number of posts : 177
Humor : exceedlingly wicked
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:15 am

I wish someone would explain how a Royal visit costs 'hundreds of thousands of pounds'. What on ?

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 30 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

i can understand your upset at this but the park if used would be unavailable to ANYONE to use for the rest of the summer months .did you see the damage to it last time we had a wet summer and the battle of flowers went ahead .it took months and thousands of pounds to rectify
i can understand the disappointment on the event not going ahead but thought should have gone into these events and an emergency site chosen
they will know this for any future events .
there are many events that do not now go ahead because of damage to the parks
Florla Guernsey used to have a super event on Cambridge park . but after the damage one year it was stopped .so an emergency venue should be included in all plans .what ever it is for .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:01 am

alderney shops have the right idea in refusing to close their shops while the horse and her rider are there.maybe we should do the same in guernsey after all we are in a recession x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next