www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare

5 posters

Go down

Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare Empty Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare

Post by GD Tue 15 Jul 2008, 9:51 pm

DRUG users are making life unbearable for a family in the island’s only tower block, Cour du PARC. Kelly Allen, 25, who lives there with her partner and their two children, has found syringes and broken glass in the hallways and stairwells.

She told police and Housing about it, but the family has not been moved, even though the department has admitted they are in unsuitable accommodation. A man who blames Miss Allen and partner Mark Warren for a child being taken into care has threatened her.

She contacted the police about his behaviour and Housing was informed. She has had problems with another tenant as well.

Housing could not comment on specific cases, but it had been notified of the issues. A Housing spokesman said: ‘The department acknowledges that these flats are not totally suitable for young children, but has to make the best use of the resources available to it until more family houses are freed up when the new units of smaller accommodation being built by the Guernsey Housing Association come on line.’
(from thisisguernsey)

I can never understand how the housing put these people there in the 1st place, the number of States Houses with 3-4 bedrooms occupied with "Old" couples amaze me, about time they got this sorted...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare Empty Re: Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 02 Aug 2008, 5:44 pm

I applaud the gutsy stance made by both Miss Allen & Mr Warren re front page spread on the 15th July headed ‘Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare’. Many many people in Guernsey have buried their heads in the sand, ignored the drug problem because of snobbery or had the wool pulled over their eyes by respective organisations and of course our government. One must also praise the press for taking the risk in printing such an article, albeit that it was most probably heavily edited, it is not the norm for the press to run such a contentious article so well done there.

However, the drug culture is not just located at Cour Du Parc flats it is across Guernsey and I will not comment on the role of the Housing Department with regards the plights of the residents at Cour Du Parc, I will leave this to the likes of Deputy Brehaut who will I am sure will take this opportunity to use the plight of the residents as a point scoring competition against his fellow Deputies and Ministers and not look at the drug culture in the island. I want this article to raise awareness of some of the plights of the addicts and raise a few of the real social issues which exist in the island because of the drug culture and perhaps a way of moving forwards for the future.

There are some excellent landlords in the island who do all they can for those who are socially vulnerable through the misuse of illegal drugs and these landlords should be commended. However, we have crooked landlords who are charging up to £160 + per week (in a majority of cases all of the living expenses are paid for by social security) for a filthy dingy little room or storeroom whereby the tenant has no privacy whatsoever and where the landlord/lady frequently abuse the rights of their tenant free from any intervention by our Police Officers purely because of the type of tenant they are coning. Addicts or those on rahab experiences varying psychological disorders and the living environment should offer solace and security from the demons they are fighting. Many people have one room in their home they can find this solace in. If you are living in one room, it is your bedroom, lounge, kitchen, bathroom in some cases it is the loneliest place in the world if you are an addict.

These men and women can not get themselves out of the hell hole they find themselves in because there is not an adequate system in place to support or treat the addict therefore the perpetual circle of misery continues and the crooks and dealers get richer whilst the addicts increase and are becoming younger. I have spoken with addicts and their aspirations are no different from you or me and why shouldn’t they be. I have heard addicts labelled scum, trash, useless, scroungers, no hopers and of course much worse terms of endearment. All comments made by members of our society whose little lives are all they think about sod anyone else ‘we’re ok jack’. Guernsey is changing and changing for the worse and becoming more like a small borough of England with an English attitude, slowly going is the local community spirit which was/is so unique in our island.

In order that we tackle this very severe drug culture we need all associated services joined up with a clear defined strategy for the same common goal and one should ask is our Police, Social Services, Government, Doctors, churches and associated Drug & Alcohol services actually communicating with each other and do they have the resources and funds available to accomplish a workable strategy. We all know how hard our Customs Officers work in detecting and catching both dealers and stemming the continuous flow of drugs causing such misery and pain for members of our community but they can only do so much because of the limited funds and resources.

We need a purpose built rahab centre with satellite units more or less based along the same principle and design as the Rosaire Avenue site. May I suggest that the finance industry with the support of Giba, who have done very, very nicely out of the Z10 tax strategy, dig deep and fund a rahab centre it would be such an amazing gesture and show that the finance industry does not just care about the island but the most vulnerable within our community. I will await a response from Giba on this very important matter.

Finally, for those in our community who continue burying their heads, covering up the illegal drug problem or blame the addicts you are no better then the dealer or the crooked landlord and shame on you because you are the very people who push the syringe which pushes the heroin into the vein of the addict, you are the one who cuts up the lines of cocaine before it gets snorted and you are he landlord/lady who allow human beings to live in utter filth and degradation raking in thousands of pounds of tax payers money. Just remember, the addict may one day be your friend, brother, sister.

We should not sit in judgment of those who are addicts, as a society we should act for them and support them. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people”.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare Empty Re: Drugs use make life in flats a nightmare

Post by kat Sat 02 Aug 2008, 5:57 pm

exellent post .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sat 02 Aug 2008, 6:42 pm

It amazes me that over the past decade Drugs seem more easily available now than ever, it seems that hundreds of people know who are selling the damn things yet there is little sign that the police are actively pursuing them,

I have actually been told by youngsters that its because they are in on it, by which they mean the Police and some in the legal proffession, I find that hard to believe but still can not understand why there are so few arrests when there seems to be drugs all over the place.

We need to get the drugs off the streets and help the addicted get over there addiction.

And maybe its time for cour du parc to finally be pulled down and people rehoused into more suitable acommodation.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkyD Sat 02 Aug 2008, 8:41 pm

Firstly I believed that the Cour du parc flats were meant to be for more elderly residents originally - however it seems that this has dwindled and the cheaper rents has attracted a younger tenant.

I would however state that quite often people seem to stereotype drug users as down and outs who commit crime to feed their habit, and whilst this is still largely true, there is an increasing number of users who can afford their habit either due to well paid parents or a high paid job - look how cocaine use has become labelled as a 'rich and famous' habit.

I would argue Wayside, that the majority of prisoners locally are inside for drug related crime so I don't think that these arrests have fallen away, but what you see on the streets is a largely visible users and not those higher up the scale.

Remember it is the Police who have the mandate to deal with the low level drug users and Customs disrupt the drug syndicates - the facilitators and financiers.

I imagine that any drop in arrests of street users is going to be due to a lack of Police presence and initiative in this area.
MarkyD
MarkyD

Male
Number of posts : 1148
Job/hobbies : Professional Layabout
Humor : Manic - varying from dirty to clinically insane
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.cwgsy.net/community/minimotoraceclub

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 03 Aug 2008, 12:14 am

Having spoken to someone who has just come out of prison his words were 95% of people in there are in for drugs, I did not ask if they were using or supplying.

My view is hit the small guys hard enough then the ones further up will not be able to find people to sell the drugs and will either have to deal them selves or pack it in.

You have to get the small guys out of the loop but cant lock everyone up for years, the sentances should be short spell in prison so they know what its like, with a suspended longer sentance should they re offend, this would not overcrowd the prison for years. and be a warning that if caught again they face a long spell away.

Also a reward system for people who give evidence that gets the bigger players locked up, but then we come accross the point I said before about who some think are involed, how do you know you can trust the person your giving the information too.

A few weekends of undercover young police from outside the island should get a lot of results.

allowing it to go on as it is will just make it worse every year until it gets out of control.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 03 Aug 2008, 8:18 am

Wayside, look around you we have a very,very large drug culture. Not just impacting on the lower classes but the wealthy who are the main culprits. They can afford to bring in the drugs, throw wild orgies and provide the dealers with drugs to sell on the street. I hate to inform you but our drug problem is no longer a problem it is a crises.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 03 Aug 2008, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit out.)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 03 Aug 2008, 9:16 am

Yes it is an ongoing thing.We do have problems with drugs,I do know this and are aware of it
But do the police offer enough protection to those who bring the dealer to justice?
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkyD Sun 03 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

wayside wrote:My view is hit the small guys hard enough then the ones further up will not be able to find people to sell the drugs and will either have to deal them selves or pack it in.

You have to get the small guys out of the loop but cant lock everyone up for years, the sentances should be short spell in prison so they know what its like, with a suspended longer sentance should they re offend, this would not overcrowd the prison for years. and be a warning that if caught again they face a long spell away.

I completely disagree Wayside. Removing street level dealers would do absolutely nothing to reduce the level of drugs in the island. As soon as you remove one, there are always several more waiting to take their place and earn 'easy money'.

The reason targetting the facilitators and financiers works is because it cuts that link to the original supply into the island. As we are talking about organised crime, it takes people with large amounts of money and organisation (usually UK based) to get these importations in. The locals are generally only mules who supply users further down the chain - however the higher local links are also taken out as they are then the next in line within the island who continue the process.

The gauge of success in reducing drug availability in the island is measured by street value - the more available, the lower the price and obviously the opposite is also true. When drugs are scarce, the price soars - unfortunately this also means that people see it as an opportunity for making even more money from the same transaction, so you end up with a vicious circle.
MarkyD
MarkyD

Male
Number of posts : 1148
Job/hobbies : Professional Layabout
Humor : Manic - varying from dirty to clinically insane
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.cwgsy.net/community/minimotoraceclub

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 03 Aug 2008, 3:54 pm

[quote="MarkyD

I completely disagree Wayside. Removing street level dealers would do absolutely nothing to reduce the level of drugs in the island. As soon as you remove one, there are always several more waiting to take their place and earn 'easy money'.

Then keep catching them until they realise its not worth taking the chance there is not an infinite amount of people in Guernsey willing to sell drugs.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 03 Aug 2008, 6:53 pm

if u have users you have dealers and dealers make users and users make dealers.....it goes on and on.........it's all about money. chop the head off the snake amd treat those bitten by the snake and half the battle is won.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 03 Aug 2008, 9:56 pm

Just because its a hard job, does not meen it should not be tried, and in a small place like Guernsey it should be achievable, it just need our Customs, Police and the Courts to get together and hit it hard for a few months.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 04 Aug 2008, 7:30 am

Wayside, if only it were that simple.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 04 Aug 2008, 11:04 am

Send a drug dog into the clubs and pubs for a few nights and they will soon get the message that it not only would not be a good idea to be selling but buying as well as they wont want to be caught with anything on them.

There does not seem to be anything done (as far as I know) just to keep them on their guard and possibly put some off selling.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 04 Aug 2008, 7:38 pm

Wayside, I hate to inform you but its the house parties, swingers parties, private parties and other forms of social activities which provide the biggest collection of drugs and the people who run these parties are the very people who have the money and power in the island..........you may take out a few low level druggies doing things your way but like I said you need to chop the head off the snake for an impact to be felt and the will is not there.

We have allegedly over 600 heroin users……your not just dealing with cannabis smokers you know it’s the real thing out there.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Wed 06 Aug 2008, 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 04 Aug 2008, 11:08 pm

I personally dont think canabis is a problem anyway, my view has always been if you smoke and dring booze you may as well have a joint and it the same thing.

The real drugs are the ones we need to sort out and not knowing much about all these parties you are on about I will have to bow to your expierience but I am sure there are ways of busting them as well.

600 heroin users = over 1%, that seems a lot to me, are there figures to suport that?
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Wed 06 Aug 2008, 6:09 am

it as a figure quoted in the local paper and you musr believe the local don't you. I would agree with that figure but those who think Gsy's only drug problem is a few people haveing a few joints here and there then they should get out more.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down