www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display

3 posters

Go down

Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display Empty Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display

Post by GD Tue 12 Aug 2008, 7:56 pm

Politicians are holding talks today to see if they can help ensure this year's Battle of Britain air show goes ahead.

Culture and Leisure officials are trying to see if there's anyway they can underwrite the event as organisers struggle to find sponsorship.

Rising fuel costs have seen the cost of the event soar, taking the price tag to over £40,000.

Just 2 years ago it was around £28,000

But Culture and Leisure are reminding islanders money in the States is tight and they can make no guarantees yet.

Air show organiser Alan Brunger says its not just fuel prices that have seen the show's costs skyrocket.

They are also being hit with huge increases in their insurance bills.

Individuals and businesses are being called on to back the show. (from Islefm)

mmm maybe the £40,000 would be better spent elsewhere.... its seems to have become an excessive waste of money for such a "5" minute wonder
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display Empty Re: Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 12 Aug 2008, 8:19 pm

I for one would give the money for this very important event. We must never, ever forget the bravery of the men and women who gave and give their lives so we can enjoy our freedom. Perhaps if Trott stayed in Gsy and didn’t globe Trott and further destroy our reputation then we could pay for 10 BB displays.......I say lets start a BB fund via this forum and show those who don't want this display to continue that it must so we and generations will never ever forget. Perhaps the appalling town carnival can be ditched and the funds from that can be used.......

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display Empty Re: Rising fuel costs could spell the end for Battle of Britain Display

Post by GD Tue 12 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:

I for one would give the money for this very important event. We must never, ever forget the bravery of the men and women who gave and give their lives so we can enjoy our freedom. Perhaps the appalling town carnival can be ditched and the funds from that can be used.......

Is that not what Remembrance Sunday is for ... To not forget the brave men and women who fought for freedom,

Lets face it when I was at school we were allowed to go and see this event, now the schools tend to ignore it, so what benefit is that?

No lets put things into perspective which gets more attendance and gives more satisfaction, the Town carnival? or the Air display?

My bet is the town carnival....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:36 am

I disagree strongly DG. The monies raised from the BB display not only go towards the display itself but also for the veteran’s welfare. The schools have not been allowed to attend because of the liberal idiots within our establishment. With regards remembrance day yes this is a day to remember all who were lost in all wars both serving servicemen and civilians..... The town carnival (how one can call it a carnival is beyond me) is an horrendous, cheap way of silencing those who say tourism is dead…... The acts are pathetic and one wonders if drug checks are made on the acts coming in or indeed police checks are carried out..........Let us not forget some of the more unsavory fair ground staff allegedly brought in drugs every time they came in and most it is also alleged had criminal backgrounds.....they must have had because they conned the public with the charges.

I am sure if a poll were carried out to see which was the most popular the pathetic carnival would win not because it is the best and most entertaining cause it isn’t it's because it pleases the over 80's who are making an effort in holidaying in the island and the locals who are easily pleased……...

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 16 Aug 2008, 9:01 am

maybe as pete has said a fund should be set up.i enjoy watching the display as i am sure many other islanders do to.i would def contribute what i could afford to this cause.whilst peeps do enjoy the town carnival it has been the same old thing for years now.maybe it should be re vamped for next year.the shops in town are the ones who benefit from the carnival week so maybe they should be paying to bring some decent acts over.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm

I must confess Thistle that I forgot the shops out of the equation regarding the carnival.......go with what you said and revamp and then I probably would support it.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum