www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Jersey go it alone?

4 posters

Go down

Should Jersey go it alone? Empty Should Jersey go it alone?

Post by GD Thu 20 Nov 2008, 6:11 pm

Should Jersey go it alone? With more and more regulations being forced on the island. And with less and less control over our destiny there's growing calls for independence.

Gorey is just one of the many castles, forts and bunkers that stand as a testament to Jersey's rich history. The island's been fought over for centuries.

In the civil war the island's premier family the de Carteret's sided with the crown and the future King Charles II found refuge there. More recently, during the Second World War, the Germans invaded and the island was occupied for five years. As a result of these trials and tribulations Jersey's forged a unique constitutional position. (from channelonline)

I cannot see this ever happening....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Should Jersey go it alone? Empty Re: Should Jersey go it alone?

Post by Simple Me Thu 20 Nov 2008, 7:57 pm

Too right we should go it alone, Then chuck out all the Foriegn imports.

Sorry, but there is no way that this Island could be that independant

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Thu 20 Nov 2008, 8:01 pm

Jersey's link to the UK gives it a foot in the door to the EU, we benefit from being able to ride on the coat-tails of the UK in dealings with the EU. I think were we to become a completely independent state that we would be bullied by the far larger EU over every negotiation, in effect meaning we wouldn't have any negotiating power, and any independence would be moot.

I don't think that shows that Jersey to be inferior to the EU, but I simply don't trust the EU to play to a level playing field and not use it's unfair size advantage.

I don't think that the link with the UK benefits Jersey in that the UK fights on our behalf, more that we go relatively unnoticed in the grand scheme of things.

The recent, and not so recent, talk of 'tax haven' and 'tax avoidance' is rubbish, Jersey just is what it is and taxes as it needs. That the UK and EU's tax regimes are such that their own citizens don't feel compelled to loyalty is their own doing.

It's note worthy that the two most significant changes to our local taxation in the last 100years have been because of the interference of the EU, not our own choice/policy.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Fri 21 Nov 2008, 8:27 am

I think id be worried about Obama more than the eu :roll:

And no Jersey shouldnt go alone

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down