www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Churches using humorous US-style signs

2 posters

Go down

Churches using humorous US-style signs Empty Churches using humorous US-style signs

Post by GD Thu 22 Jan 2009, 1:29 pm

British churches are using American-style humorous signs to attract worshippers.

Pastor Paul Sinclair helped start the trend when he was running the Elim Pentecostal Church in Willesden, north London
With congregations in decline clergy have resorted to putting up the US-inspired signs - known as "wayside pulpits".

The signs use everything from word play such as "Fight truth decay" to topical themes such as "Rooney shoots but Jesus saves".

Pastor Paul Sinclair helped start the trend when he was running the Elim Pentecostal Church in Willesden, north London.

He said: "When I joined the church it was on the verge of closure because the congregation consisted of only 14 ladies.

"I decided to target the signs at people who didn't come to church, rather than those who did, so I wanted to come up with something that would catch people's eye. I did the first sign in the summer of 1989 and it said, 'Come to church now and miss the Christmas rush'.

"The posters worked and eventually the congregation grew to 120."

The signs have also been popular in Wimbledon, south London.

Ben Shaw, 40, an assistant at Emmanuel Church, has been designing its posters for about five years.

He said: "Being in Wimbledon I usually put up a tennis-themed sign in the summer. Last year I put one up saying, 'God made Roger Federer' and apparently he loved it and had his photo taken by it."

The fashion for wayside pulpits has grown to such an extent that in 2007 church property insurers Congregational & General ran a competition to find the best. (telegraph online)
Churches using humorous US-style signs Wayside-pulpit_1244350c

So what humorous saying or sign would you recommend for the church..

All slogan's/pictures welcome..lol
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Churches using humorous US-style signs Empty Re: Churches using humorous US-style signs

Post by Troy McClure Thu 22 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

"Come in out of the weather, and enjoy the warmth of our Church.... Why not; you paid for it?"

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Churches using humorous US-style signs Empty Re: Churches using humorous US-style signs

Post by Troy McClure Thu 22 Jan 2009, 1:57 pm

"Free salvation with every life devoted to our ideals*"

*We offer no guarantees, no refunds, no apologies. In the event that there is no God you life may have been wasted hating the innocent. In the event of there being a God, just not ours you may be left looking pretty stupid on your way to hell. You investment in the afterlife may go down as well as up, past performance whether real or fake may not be indicative of future performance. Your soul is at risk in the event of thoughtless and mindless devotion. Any resemblance of characters in the bible to living person is pure coincidence. The Church is regulated by the voices inside some old ex-nazi, homophobic's head.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Thu 22 Jan 2009, 6:36 pm

Churches using humorous US-style signs Lettherebe
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down